| Stayed at Jumping Branch farm - our favorite! |
Hamp and I skipped town for a short getaway to Aiken, South Carolina last week. I love Aiken and it doesn't take much to convince me to take some PTO and go.
We arrived on Wednesday and took the boys (Hampton and TB eventer/dressage buddy, E) on a 40 minute walk before absolutely binge eating at TakoSushi. This is becoming a tradition haha.
Lesson day
On Thursday we hauled over to SD's place where we both had super lessons. Takeaways:
Smoothed out I-2 trot half pass zig zag. Think shoulder-fore instead of pushing haunches out.
Less leg! Too much begging. Take legs OFF.
Travel the piaffe, then bring back and ask for more engagement. Let out.
Stay uphill in changes, if he dives abandon changes and circle
Shortened my stirrups a half a hole, this helped with dropping heels away
Keep following in walk and extended walk. Cue to piaffe is to stop following.
Schooling day
On Friday we hit up 4 tack stores before 11 a.m. I was really surprised my bank didn't call me to ask what the hell was going on. I mostly behaved myself with one exception. I purchased a lovely pair of navy DeNiro boots, which off the rack fit me perfectly. It's the first time I have ever been able to buy a nice new pair of boots for myself. They are AMAZING and so comfortable.
| This photo does not do them justice. A really pretty, subtle navy blue. |
After boosting the economy, we hauled over to The Vista where both of us were able to work on our dressage freestyle choreography. My freestyle ended up being a minute too short, which was annoying but at least I found that out now. I spent the evening re-doing some of my freestyle to eat up more time. The Grand Prix freestyle has to be between 5:30 and 6 minutes. I can't believe the judges want to watch me for 5 minutes. I can literally do all the requirements in 4 minutes and then put you out of your misery.
![]() |
| The Vista is really lovely! |
Show Day
We were up bright and early for an 8:39 centerline time for the I-2. Hampton warmed up great. The test was decently solid, pretty average really. Unfortunately I made a mistake in the 1s and let Hampton do 12 instead of 11. So we missed a 60 just barely.
| Love Stable View's indoor area with perfect perfect footing. |
We have zero cushion at the Big Tour for any mistakes, so it is what it is. I need to ride better. I think I got in my head about how pretty it is to show at Stable View haha.
Sunday
After spending most of Sunday morning in Eventer Land, we got lucky with the rain and were able to go video my new and improved Freestyle. This time we hit up a new-to-us farm called Sandy Hills. They had two dressage arenas (with mirrors!), XC jumps, a POND TO SWIM IN, a gallop track and a derby field. Really cool place and we will be back.
![]() |
| It rained on and off this day but it was still beautiful. |
Anyway, got the freestyle to hit the right time this go around. Done and dusted!
| The dapples kill me haha |
It's time to do some homework over the holidays, before heading back to Aiken in March.




Sounds like a wonderful trip! New boots are gorgeous!
ReplyDelete