Monday, February 27, 2023

Aiken 2023: Part 1 | Leisure

 Horse women are amazing because even though our group was different this year, it was no less amazing or supportive. I love how horse women can just sit down at a table, not knowing one another at all, and by the end of dinner be friends. 

I am always very thankful when we have an easy drive down to Aiken and the horses come off the trailer bright and healthy. L and I arrived at Jumping Branch Farm around 5 p.m. on a Tuesday and had just enough time to feed, grab a desperate dinner (boy that was poor planning on our part arriving on Valentine's Day and expecting to find a place to sit down and eat), and turn the boys out for the night. And by boys I mean Hampton and stepbrother Royale of course.

Wednesday we decided to take it easy and after feeding the horses, went to local favorite New Moon Cafe for some smoothies, coffee, and delicious food. We took the boys on a hack around Jumping Branch and even enjoyed a very well behaved canter around the track.


Loving Jumping Branch Farm

POV: From the back of Royale

A porkchop by a porkchop jump. I think it was a Training jump?

Obviously after our ride we went shopping at local tack stores. Big shout out to Aiken Saddlery which expanded significantly since my last visit and made my eyes quite large with joy when I walked in. 

Breyers! I am a child.

Just part of Aiken Saddlery.

We also had Vampire Penguin for "lunch" which is simply the most amazing shaved ice EVER. I would go broke (errr more broke?) if there was one local to me in KY.

More shopping downtown. lol

Our leisure day ended with dinner with friends at the absolute best restaurant Takosushi, before we all collapsed in our respective sleep locations. Thank F for friends who bring their living quarters trailer to Aiken to take in a couple of DQ strays. haha.

Next: Lessons!




1 comment:

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!