Somehow, in a series of events, networking, good luck, good friends, persistent friends, and successful interviews I was hired on as a property adjuster in August 2022. Changing careers at 42 took some rather large balls, but nothing changes if nothing changes.
How much do I know about insurance? Minimal.
How much do I know about adjusting? Absolutely nothing.
But this company was willing to take a chance on this jaded journalist, and train me.
![]() |
| Blog gets old media of Hamp today. I am in desperate need of updated photos. |
This job means a flexible schedule, holidays and weekends off *cough* SHOWS, work from home and work out in the field and endless learning opportunities. Plus there is quite a bit of room for advancement just within the company, not to mention the field of insurance.
My mother was worried that "people will hate me" since insurance adjusters are often met with resentment from clients, and sometimes you are meeting people at the worst times in their lives. I had to remind her that I was certainly NOT liked as a journalist either. Refer back to 2016 and on thank you. And so far I have only run into kind and professional people on site. Plus, I get to do cool things like climb on roofs.
![]() |
| This my hooman. |
As of Wednesday, I now have my KY adjuster license!
And one month into the job I am already getting deployed to Florida for hurricane claims. It will probably be about 10 days. Talk about being thrown to the wolves. It should teach me a lot though. Bring it on.



(Long time lurker - hi)
ReplyDeleteWe had a tornado come to our house a few years ago and talking to my adjuster made my stress levels actually go down. He was so compassionate and calm when I was a twigged out mess. He asked me questions to see if there were other things we could claim to help us rebuild. He always answered my emails fairly timely and checked back up on us once the check was received to see if we needed anything. I loved him and wrote the company a glowing email about him. I hope he saw it. Some folks might hate you but others might love you forever for being there for them when shit goes down.
Congrats on the career change!
I'm so excited for you!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a HUGE change! Good for you for diving in! Congrats on the new gig!
ReplyDelete!!! Safe trip. Good luck with new career.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I am so very happy for you. Enjoy your new adventure!
ReplyDelete