Monday, July 18, 2022

Myth busters Monday: Will I boil my horse?

In an effort to blog more often, I am going to try out this Myth busters Monday theme. Looking for myths, old horseman's tales, etc. to tackle so if you have one - comment!

First, a repost of mine from Aug. 2018.

To scrape or not to scrape?

Also known as, will I boil my horse if I leave him out in the sun soaking wet?





Since it's hot as balls a bit toasty again in KY and everyone is sweating, here's some science I thought I'd share.

Disclosure: I am outright stealing this from a post on FB. It is credited to Dr. David Marlin.*

After you hose your horse off, do you scrape the water off or no?

Hot and sweaty at Regionals 2017.



MYTHS
Myth 1 - “You should never put cold water on a hot horse"
Explanation - Ice-cold water(0-5°C) on hot horses does not cause shock, laminitis, kidney damage, muscle damage, tying-up or heart attacks!
Myth 2 - “Water left on a horse will heat up and insulate and make the horse hotter."
Explanation - Flawed physics! Water is a better conductor of heat than air. A wet horse will actually cool faster than a dry one, even if humidity is 100%.
Myth 3 - “Scraping is essential." Explanation - Scraping just wastes time that could be better used putting more water on to cool by conduction. Scraping also wastes water when water is in short supply. Water which could evaporate on the horse. Water evaporating on the ground doesn't cool horses down.
Myth 4 “Concentrate on large veins, arteries inside the back legs, large muscle groups"
Explanation - NO. Cooling by evaporation or conduction works by cooling the blood flowing through the small blood vessels in the skin. The more skin you cool, the quicker you cool the horse. Apply water all over.


I'll admit, I followed the old rule of always hose, scrape, hose, scrape for a long time until I read the actual science behind it. How would I have known any better? But now I just keep hosing Hampton, and then turn him right back out. In the sun! *gasp* No scraping anymore. Here's more:

Evaporation and conduction.




Ideally, I would hose Hampton and then let him sit under a fan for a while. I mean think about it - when it is 95 degrees, and you splash water on your face or over your head, do you get hotter or do you get a cooling effect? 

So there's no harm in the hose, scrape method. But it seems a little pointless.
(Edited to add: Sometimes I will go ahead and scrape off his belly in an effort not to totally soak the barn aisle after he is hosed)

What method do you follow?

----

* Dr. Marlin's credentials: 25 years working on equine thermoregulation. 20 plus scientific papers on equine thermoregulation. Working with endurance horses in the Gulf. Advising the racing industry on prevention and management of heat-stroke. Working with Governments on heat legislation. Working with charities on thermal stress. Working on the 1996 Atlanta, 2004 Athens, 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Currently working on the 2018 Tryon World Equestrian Games and Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Author of the FEI Guidelines for National Federations on the management of horses in thermally challenging conditions.

5 comments:

  1. Just hosed Remus off after his lesson and scraped him (Slightly but he hates water dripping off his tummy) and turned him out really wet still :) He loves it as he can make mudpies faster :)

    Interesting though!!thanks (Glad I was kind of right) HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hosing and leaving my horse wet since I read this research. The only exception is if they are going in their stalls and it's not really hot. It's because I don't want to soak the shavings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since reading about this (probably here) I've mostly just scraped the belly because the drips seem to irritate Val.

    I wonder how relative humidity fits in though? In summer it is often in the 80%-90% range here. When the air is saturated, the cooling effect of evaporation is considerably less effective, at least that's how it feels to me as a person who works outdoors - heat indices etc. - and I don't have a haircoat lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped scraping years ago. Just using common sense, I'm usually soaked in sweat and water at the barn, and baking in the sun. I'm yet to boil, instead it feels cooler to be wet. Even in the oppressive Maryland humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to hose/scrape/hose/scrape... After I read this research I hose and punt him out to make himself into a gigantic mud pie (which has the added benefit of making a fly barrier on his body). If he's gong in his stall I will scrape off his belly once to get the bulk of the big drips off because they annoy him..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!