Oh boy I was a little scared of the hits I might get if I titled this The Pee Stance.
Do you have to stand up in your stirrups when you horse pees?
| Hampton. Currently NOT peeing. |
I know I was taught to do this because otherwise you hurt their kidneys. (I grew up with VERY old school saddleseat instructors)
False. BUNK.
1) the bladder does the peeing, not the kidneys. And I can't think of any saddles that sit anywhere near the bladder.
2) The kidneys are really quite protected from even western saddles. They sit underneath thick muscle, fat, the spine and a couple of ribs. In fact your vet can feel the kidneys during a rectal exam. The kidneys sit pretty low. If it were true that a rider puts pressure on the horse's kidneys, then we would need to stand up ALL the time.
![]() |
| Source: https://equusmagazine.com/diagnosis/excessive-urination-in-horses/ |
You can of course stand in your stirrups if you feel like it might help you horse get out of that parked out stance a little easier. Especially if you have an older horse or something like that.
But do I stand in my stirrups for Hampton? No, I quit doing that years ago. He hasn't had a problem. Plus I am barely a flea to him. Maybe if I was riding a smaller, petite pony I would be courteous.
Verdict: Do what you feel is best, but you aren't putting pressure on their kidneys.

Ha! I never even really thought about this! Just accepted it as fact and stand on up. My horses rarely pee while I'm on them though.
ReplyDeleteLoving this series :D
ReplyDeleteAs a kid, I was never taught this one. It wasn't until I was in my twenties and moved to a different part of my very small state that I heard a horse person telling a student to stand up when their horse went to go. I had to ask why and I was told the same thing about protecting the kidneys. I didn't want to be rude, but I knew that was not necessary. I thought it was just a regional myth, but I guess not!
ReplyDeleteAn older horse person told me last year that you shouldn't hose off a black horse, because it will make them hotter. I tried to explain why that one was false, but the person still wouldn't give their dark horse a shower. ???