Hamp and I are a team, and while he is definitely the most spoiled of the team members sometimes you have to care for the human, too.
With the recent, shocking, news that another direct family member has been diagnosed with cancer, I decided it was probably in my best interest to have some genetic testing done. Especially since I now have two direct family members with hormone receptive cancers (my dad had prostate cancer that reoccurred and metastasized, eventually killing him).
| No one should ever have to walk into this building. It was so busy with patients it broke my heart. |
The first part of the appointment was really simple. I met with a lovely genetic counselor who gave me her speech about genetics and what that means as far as chances of developing cancer. She answered my questions, and then drew out a family tree and where there was cancer in my family.
That was alarming to say the least.
Here's a list of cancers in my family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, siblings. Did not go out further than that).
- Prostate cancer
- Glioblastoma
- Lymphoma
- Cancer of salivary glands
- ovarian cancer (diagnosed young)
- Cancer in the spine
- Melanoma
| A list of gene mutations I will be tested for, and what cancers they can be associated with |
| Otherwise Hamp and I are just surviving midwest winter! |
Props to you for seeking out the information. It's definitely scary, but you can't prepare for what you don't understand. I wish the sharing of family health history was more common.
ReplyDeleteWise of you to get screened. The more you know they more proactive you can be. I hope for only the best results for you!
ReplyDeleteYou are smart and brave. Hoping you get the best news possible!
ReplyDeleteOh god how terrifying. But what a forward thinking step to take. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteLongtime reader here! I appreciate hearing about your experience as this has happened to me in the last year too. I'm in a similar situation. Here I was told the genetic test is typically $1200 however if I tested within 30 days of an affected relatives' test I was able to do it for no cost. The genetic counselor was able to answer some types of questions. The stupid part has been that now I'm more worried about "how do I know if as a self-employed person I have selected sufficient health insurance to prevent a lifetime of medical debt if/when I get one of these cancers" rather than the "I have an 80% probability of getting one or more of these cancers and at a younger age than the average person." It was frustrating the genetic counselor wasn't able to assist in this or help me know who to even contact.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts are with you, I hope you get good news.
ReplyDelete