I am SUPER ANNOYED that Blogger seems to have disabled its reading list. So I am trying to find other ways to read everyone's blog without manually scrolling through I dunno 30-40 of them. C'MON BLOGGER. Suggestions welcome.
--
Anyhoo.
![]() |
| Canter transition |
I was lucky enough to ride in a LS clinic again here in town. Only had the funds for one day but honestly I get so much out of her lessons that's ok.
Hampton was a really good boy, and we touched on firing him up, turning in passage, working on a little bit of Spanish walk to help lift his shoulders, and then ran through the entire Grand Prix and picked a few weak spots and touched on those.
She is just such an inspiring, no-nonsense coach. She makes me want to ride better. However, I think the big take away for riding a GP test in the ring is that I need to BREATHE and SLOW TIME DOWN. I paid for my time in the ring, so take it. Hampton and I both get to running and that is bad for business.
| oh look your knees CAN come up higher |
Here are my notes from my lesson and a few others that I caught.
- Horses (and humans) don't tend to stretch well in the first 5 minutes. Unless they have a reason, don't start out long and low. Start picking them up and engaging their brain right away
- Keep horse short from tail to ears
- Even though rulebook says horse lengthens their frame in trot lengthening, they should not! That results in pulling with the front feet. Think power off the ground.
- "My grandmother could out trot you and my grandmother is dead."
- Build build build the trot, then canter
- "love him less"
- Accountability and honesty live in the transitions
- Let him live in fear of your leg
- Trot to rein back (for a horse who's legs are sticking to the ground in piaffe) Do a few of these then try piaffe
- When turning the passage, turn horse like a wheelbarrow. This really helped me!
- BREATHE
- Breathe in the corners. Take your time. Organize
- Try the one-tempis in medium canter
- Trot, then right into a 360 degree turn on forehand. Also unsticks the hind legs. Do these a few times, then piaffe
- Piaffe pirouettes help unstick the front legs
- Passage: Suck his withers up with your thighs
- Passage lives in the ribs
- Transition in/out of passage is a dimmer switch. 3, 2, 1 .... not BAM
- Hands forward
- Think wheelbarrow a little bit in canter zigzag (for me and Hamp within the changes)
- Ride with my aids off. If I apply at a level 2, and he doesn't flinch then he gets hellfire
- BREATHE
- Don't support him so much in passage. Hampton relies on me too much
- BREATHE
- Bring champagne to my first GP. lol

Jen and I are here for that last bullet point 😉 what a great lesson! LS seems awesome to ride with.
ReplyDeleteI finally gave up and have been laboriously rebuilding my reading list in Feedly, ughhhh.
I LOVE all this - I think you and I learn the same way! Such great nuggets that can be applied at the lower levels, too!
ReplyDeleteYou KNOW we will bring you champagne!!! 💜💜💜
ReplyDeleteFeedly
ReplyDeleteI use The Old Reader - it's built to function just like Google Reader used to. I pay the $20 for an annual subscription because I follow a huge number of blogs, but you don't have to. It's clean and simple and I use it constantly.
ReplyDeleteI love your lesson bullet points every time. Also I'm totally going to use the dimmer switch analogy in lessons (at a much, much, much lower level than you ride... you rock!)
ReplyDelete