| New browband made by a friend! And you can also see some of his hair loss. |
I feel like it's late enough in the summer than I can write this post without jinxing myself?
Guess we will see.
Anyway, the battle with Hampton's anhidrosis has gone MUCH better than last year. Last year he completely shut down. Like he would be BONE DRY after a ride. Even under the saddle pad. It was scary and there really is no "cure."
This year, I was better prepared. While there have been days where he has not been sweating enough, he has not stopped. He still has symptoms of anhidrosis - such as loss of hair on his face and chest - but thankfully he has continued to sweat and I have only found him once in the field where his respirations were slightly high. It was a 95 degree day, too. (He goes immediately under the cold hose when this happens). But nothing like last year.
Here is what worked for me. Every horse is different but figured I would share!
May: Increase to 2scoops 1AC. Increase Vit E supplement and electrolyte.
June: 3 scoops 1AC, and add in 1 scoop of Let Em Sweat (Maintain this through Sept I am thinking)
On 90+ degree days, I add in a beer. Mostly stuck to dark lagers but the other day I gave him a Fat Tire and he liked that too.
On 90+ degree days & days he works hard, I also add in tube electrolytes.
So far, this regime seems to have worked pretty well! It also seems to help when temps drop below 70 at night. This seems to help "reset" him.
| He loves his PEMF! |
Stay hydrated everyone!
Anhidrosis is so scary! Glad you've found a system that works for Hamps 🥰 when Jack quit sweating a few summers back we were able to get it jumpstarted again with SweatAgain, and after a few summers on that he's actually been able to sweat on his own again with no extra supplements!
ReplyDeleteI think you're getting some rain today! We got buckets last night. Anhidrosis is so interesting, what a terrible failure mode for an animal as active as a horse, lol. Sounds like you're doing everything you can! Going to save this in case I have to deal with this someday.
ReplyDeleteVal has been anhydrotic for two summers now. Bone dry + rapid panting when he presented the first time. One AC has been a lifesaver, as well as frosty cold Guinness Stout poured over evening mash to jump start treatment. It does seem like high overnight temps are what bring on symptoms for us. Hope it rains soon!
ReplyDeleteGlad something is working this year!
ReplyDelete