Monday, June 21, 2021

Clinic nuggets of wisdom

Wittle bebah snuggles!

I watched a handful of lessons at a Gwen Poulin clinic this week. When she comes back in town I think I will try and ride with her. She was very helpful and positive and I liked how she approached different riders and horses. (Yes, she is the daughter of Tom Poulin - top judge and founding member of USDF).

Anyway, here are my notes!

  • In trot: Haunches in, circle (10-12m), back into haunches in (really helped a horse and rider who were leaning on each other)
  • If the back is supple, the mouth will stay closed
  • Riders behind the motion will pull
  • Lean forward in extended trot, otherwise they ski out in front of you


  • Use canter within trot work to add power. Little segments then back to trot
  • Leg yield in the down transition from extended canter to collected canter
  • leg yield canter zig zags (no lead change). Add power into direction of true lead
  • If they don't come back with power from extended trot, go into canter
  • Small corrections within canter pirouettes. Big corrections just disrupt balance
  • Live in the canter pirouette, keep correcting little by little
  • Canter half pass, straighten go forward, back to half pass
  • Trot half pass down centerline, when you hit the wall - piaffe Stay slow in trot
  • Can do walk half pass to the wall and into piaffe too

Meanwhile, Hampton and I are headed to a show this week. (Another attempt at the I2!)

And also stay tuned for fun news I am pretty sure I have lost my mind this week, too! (No I have not purchased a horse or cat)


1 comment:

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!