Friday, May 14, 2021

The Music and the Mirror

 

Photo by L. Dean
From Meadowlake show. I-2

"You want to know why there are so many mirrors in dance studios? So you can see yourself dance? Sure. But it's more than that. It's to correct mistakes. Mistakes measured in fractions of degrees. Flaws no one else would even notice. But the mirror is impartial. Ruthless."

It's a miracle I have some real live media of Porkchop! 

The change in him and I even since our Aiken trip has been rather remarkable. It's like he is starting to reach a new level. He is MUCH more engaged and better balanced. And my riding has also improved. I am staying more quiet during the tempis especially, and staying stronger in my seat. My half halts and moments of release are proving quite effective. He is a BUS of a horse to wrangle and now that I am adding power it is A LOT to manage. lol!

Here is our line of twos from last weekend: 




From the video I did notice that we need a lot more work on pi/pa. It's just .... not really there. His passage is still way too "trotty" and while he has a good piaffe it needs to be more clear and punchy. 

But have a look at this line of FIFTEEN ones! He gets a little stabby and tight, but I think it's just a balance issue and we can go back and fix that. But they are there!!!


What I really need to work on for the I-2:

Piaffe/Passage: Needs to be more clear, more strength. Work especially on that last centerline.

Canter piro: Needs to stay on the CL. I drift a little bit

The ones: Need to get 11 reliably on the diagonal 

If I can get these things cleaned up, I think we can probably pull a 60 at a rated show. 

But there is still a lot of polish before GP!


2 comments:

  1. WOW! You two look amazing! You've been working really hard together, and it absolutely shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who struggles to get ONE lead change in ONE corner, I am SO impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!