Monday, October 12, 2020

Regionals 2020: A long strange trip

Festive set up at Regionals

 Hampton had a couple of really great months after his navicular bursa injection.

But then was unsound about a week before regionals. It was not so much that front foot this time though, but severe back soreness. 

I tried acupuncture. Robaxin. Massage. Easy walk days. I rented a f-ing magnawave machine.

Two days before we left for St. Louis I called the vet and he blasted him with IV robaxin. (He said hocks, stifles, feet checked out fine. Just seemed like muscle soreness)

I decided to put him on the trailer and see what happened. But I did not ride him for 4 days leading up to a Regional Competition. Not exactly confidence boosting.

It was a long haul so all I did was hand walk him and magnawave him on Thursday evening when we arrived. In true Hamp fashion he settled in just fine.

on the trailer!

Hand walking


(Note: Most of the following photos were generously taken by friend extraordinaire Leah who came to watch us!! It literally made my weekend to have her come!)

Hamp over our shit.

Friday I rode in the AA Equitation finals, thinking that might be a good warm up ride for him since it's easy for him. He was a perfect angel. Many of the other horses were leaping and bucking around because they can't handle trotting in a group. Anyway, there were 12 of us and only 8 were picked to do the pattern. The judges did not care for my riding this year and excused me (last time I was in the finals I almost won!). I did not make mistakes, and neither did Hampton. I simply wasn't what they were looking for and when this happens you just say "eat a bag of dicks" and move on. 

Leah gives Hamp some masked kisses

That is my Dammit Doll which makes a great horse show mascot

Mostly I was happy that Hamp felt significantly better so I decided let's do the I-1 champ class on Saturday.

Unfortunately, on Saturday morning he was stiff all over. He was short on the right hand, tight in the back and rigid in the poll. So I did not get my usual magical warm up in. But, I got him decently loosened up and hoped for the best.




Winter project: Get those hind legs to jump closer together!

The test was ... ok. I made a mistake in the 3s. He fell behind my leg in the canter work and his poll started getting lower and lower. I fought for it the best I could but we just weren't good enough.

Plus, one of the judges is one who a couple years ago wrote on a PSG test that I had no business at that level. I'm glad I didn't know that before I went in. I was doomed before I went in the ring. We weren't going to get more than a 6 no matter what I did. And with a bobble or two, and his croup being up on outer space most of the test, that gave us a 59%. A very fair score at this level of competition.  That did earn us a 5th place though, which I am pleased with. 


It's amazing to even have made it this far at all. And hell, there were some NICE horses in that class! We deserved the score. Best of all, I did do a proper victory gallop which Hampton loved! I mean, that's the whole reason to make it to Regionals anyway! 


You know what was kind of sad? Only 3 of us showed up for the awards ceremony in my division. Only Res. Champ, third place and myself showed up. 




Sunday morning I schooled him a bit at 7 am and he felt MUCH better, Which in turn made me feel much better because I am codependent. The trailer ride home was thankfully uneventful, too.

 Now he gets a week or two off to see if I can't get his back to chill out even more.

I'm super proud of him. He is just the most reliable, fun horse to show. Not the most uphill, fancy thing but his brain and character are one in a million. I'll take that any day! 



We have had quite the season (although brief) at I-1 this year and I could not be more proud of him.

We have a clinic at the end of the month, and other than that back to schooling and tasting the GP! 

Oh, by the way one of my barn mates brought two of her ducks to the show and they were invaluable comedic relief. Highly recommend.

You can add duck walker to my resume.








4 comments:

  1. The ducks were friggin' hysterical 😂😂 I'm so glad I got to come hang out with you and Hamps!!! You are an inspiration. Even if he isn't a fancy leg flinger, he is honest and sweet and tries so hard for you ♥️♥️♥️ and I'd take that any day of the week

    Ps. I'm still sad I didn't buy that whip haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it just wasn't your show but I'm glad that Hampton felt a bit better before trailering home and hopefully some time off has him feeling better than ever.

    And damn I want a horse show duck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's good you didn't know that judge was there before you rode. Maybe not the regionals you'd hoped for, but given the circumstances, sounds like a decent experience anyway. None of my horses would show up like that after four days off, that's for sure! Hampton is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say I've never seen ducks at a show! Congratulations on getting out and doing the thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!