Friday, March 13, 2020

AIKEN DAY 5: Into the woods


AIKEN DAY 5: FRIDAY

One of the big reasons I decided to make this trip was because I wanted to go to Hitchcock Woods. While our plans changed and evolved over the week, this was one activity I made sure was going to happen.

Stolen from Liz. .... NERDS.

While the eventers stayed behind to school some more XC, Hampton, Royale, Liz and myself made the short trip to Hitchcock Woods for a lovely morning of trail riding.


It's just as beautiful and perfect as everyone says it is.

Lovely sand footing. No bugs. No trees hitting me in the face. Pretty much the perfect place to trail ride. (I'm sure the bugs probably return in the summer tho)

We rode for about 2.5 hours and really only covered maybe an 8th of the property. The trails were really well marked, so while we did accidentally trespass on someone's driveway at one point, we did not get lost and that is impressive for us. haha.



We did come up on the kennels for the hunt hounds. And saw one lady dressed to the NINES in her fox hunting gear (Barbour coat and all). It was so neat! they let the hounds out int he woods a couple days a week and have plenty of signs warning you and what times they will be out. I bet the hunting through the woods is just f-ing fantastic. There are so many jumps - 3, 4, 5 horses could jump together over some of them.

Memorial gate

The boys were really well behaved of course. My ONLY regret is that I wish we had a second day to explore more of the woods. Next time!


Horse show grounds

It was just so peaceful and horse friendly and everything you dream of for ideal trail riding.

Photo by Liz


We headed back to meet up with the other gals for an afternoon watching the Grand Prix Eventing Showcase at Bruce's Field. What a cool venue! We unfortunately missed the dressage, but got there in time for the show jumping. For the first time all week the temperature was FREEEEZING. Even though it was still supposedly 50 degrees I was COLD and had to sit in the truck during the break to warm up. hahaha. But still a fun time and so cool to watch some of the country's top eventers!

Bruce's Field

I assume this was probably the last jump on the XC course

Boyd

It was an early night for us since we had the long drive back home in the morning. I was both exhausted and totally in love with Aiken. I thought we were spoiled in KY as far as horse country, but Aiken is rider's country. It is infested with horse people.

Our drive back was thankfully uneventful and all the horses and people are home safe and sound which is the most important. I'll be back for sure. In what capacity I don't know. Maybe permanently some day. I loved it THAT much.

But for now, we do our homework! Show season is creeping up on us.

Saturday sunrise at Jumping Branch before we left

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tour. #vicarioustravelforthewin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah those trails look and sound incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're having such an incredible time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking us along on your top notch horsecation!

    Minus the booze of course, which seems like a really good idea right about now - i.e. every time I look at my phone, see a t.v. or hear anyone talk...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!