![]() |
| Photos by my friend K. Young |
We ventured up near Cinci to Majestic Farm over the weekend. The drive is usually about an hour and a half but thanks for construction and awful Cinci traffic it took us more than three hours to get there Friday. This made for some hot and tired horses and humans.
I very lightly schooled Hampton Friday evening and he felt fine, but I could tell he was a bit tired.
We had early ride times of 8 am for the I-1 and 9:12 for the PSG so we were up at the buttcrack of dawn. I much prefer early rides because you beat the heat and bugs, and then you can chill out
![]() |
| Jello shots. Warning the pre-made ones from the store were ROUGH. |
First test was the big I-1 and Hampton warmed up fine, but I could tell I didn't have much horse. I just never really got him razzed up and hot off the leg. Even so, our first time doing this test was a decent and respectable attempt.
In the video, you will see our first extended trot he broke (I see now it's because he was never straight and I let him start off crooked, so he lost his balance). As I went to try and correct it, we ended up in a slight pulling match and it is then I believe my tack malfunction happened.
I noticed a piece of leather flapping about when I started my canter work. I thought it was my throat latch at first, and continued on my merry way. Hampton was very cooperative, and did what I asked. We missed the twos, but he just wasn't hot enough and also again got crooked.
As I did my final salute, I looked down and realized it was my BRADOON HANGER that was no longer attached. I mean Jesus H. Christ.
The judge even waved me over to see what had happened. I thought for a sec I would get eliminated but he said I was good and I could tell he was probably laughing at my incompetence.
I'm not sure what the heck happened but I am guessing the hook just wasn't all the way latched in the loop hole and came undone. I had ridden with it that way when I schooled the day before, too.
True redneck dressage here. A total mess.
Anyway, we nabbed a 59% and some change. A very fair score, and just fine for a first attempt at the level for both of us. I think we would have gotten a 60 without the mistakes.
We did a PSG about 45 minutes later, and while Hampton was very obedient and cooperative, I knew that the days of doing two tests the first day were over. He struggled a bit in the left canter piro and I think we made a mistake in the 4s. Still, we squeaked out a 60%.
I let him rest and eat all the hay and alfalfa cubes he wanted the rest of the day. And he had a good roll during our evening walk and graze. hahaha nerd.
Sunday we had a 7:57am ride time for a PSG. He felt MUCH better warming up, more snazzy and well rested. This test was probably the BEST PSG test we have ever done. I was really pleased because it was the first time I felt comfortable doing the test! It was mistake free except for a very small bobble in the change after the counter canter.
![]() |
| For this extended trot in the PSG the judge remarked "lacks suspension" OK. IF YOU SAY SO. |
I thought for sure we would be over a 60%.
wrong.
A mere 59% for one of our best tests ever.
Talk about discouraging.
![]() |
| His hind end really motors and I need to learn how to get his front end up and out of the way |
I realize Hampton's conformation and way of going are not FEI quality. Those two things are extremely difficult to overcome.
The thing is, he is so CAPABLE. He does the movements, is obedient and seems happy to keep doing this job. He has not said no to me yet. He just smartly figures out what I want, and somehow figures out how to make it happen even with the limitations of his body.
Is it fair to this horse to make him keep doing the FEI? Am I going to cause injury because his body is not made for this?
This is now our second full season at PSG and there has been ZERO improvement in scores. NONE. Has Hampton topped out? Is it fair to MYSELF to keep spending money to keep getting 58s and 59s? At what point do you say, ok, this horse has done great but this is as far as he can go?
I literally sold my own blood (well, plasma) to pay for these two shows. I love showing, and enjoy the entire experience not just the 5 minutes in the ring. But I'd like to see some improvement. That's kind of the point of competing.
![]() |
| hahahaha that's my horse. |
I don't have the answers right now. Just a bunch of questions.
But gotta push those to the back burner since we have another show this weekend and another attempt at the I-1. Let's get those twos this time!!








I totally get your frustration! I grew up in the hunter ring. I could do everything right but if the judge preferred the expensive warmblood we showed against, well we were behind it. Even if maybe it swapped off in front of the jumps. So frustrating!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like Hampton doesn't struggle to do what you're asking, so I don't think you're causing him any harm. I'm not really sure what the judges are marking you down for (I don't ride dressage) so I don't have advice for how to get those higher marks. Sorry... But you both look amazing in those photos to me!
hugs my friend - those are not easy questions to answer (and I have no answers to give) at the end of Carlos' career I had similar questions regarding giving up the Hunters since he was so small and short strided. If it wasn't for his navicular I think I would have switched to the jumpers and we would have both been a lot happier for it and more competitive at the bigger shows. Dressage is a whole nother ball game though.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Megan has some insight!
Horse showing is so hard. And dressage ... ugh. If your only metric is the score itself then yea it can feel like maybe there’s no point if the scores never really change. I tend to think that there are other metrics that matter more to me personally - that are more fulfilling - than just the recorded number, although perhaps they’re more difficult to quantify.
ReplyDeleteI hate that people are not supportive of someone who is trying to learn & improve their horse. Virtual hug for you & nose pat for Hampton.
ReplyDelete