Thursday, June 20, 2019

Let's chat about SafeSport shall we

via GIPHY

People were already cranky about SafeSport before last week, when a well known hunter/jumper trainer committed suicide. His death sparked quite a bit of controversy, as people blamed his suicide on his situation within SafeSport and allegations made against him.

You can read the statement released from USEF here.

And here is a quote from an article about Robert Gage's suicide:
“(Gage) was fighting SafeSport for allegations against him back in the late '70s, early '80s,” Emily Karp, a longtime friend and former pupil of Gage, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday night. “It was very depressing to him, and it was really wearing him down, especially on social media. It was like cyberbullying. A lot of people didn’t know the whole story and didn’t know him. It was pretty devastating to him.” (USA TODAY)

Suicide is always tragic. And cyberbullying is not ok. But this is not a result of SafeSport, this is a result of him BEING CAUGHT, and secondly social media. I love how this person implies that it was a "long time ago" ... as if the victim(s) should forget about it?

Here's what I've been reading on the interwebs.

via GIPHY

"SafeSport is a lynch mob"
FALSE: What you are referring to is social media and the internet. That's where you find the internet lynch mobs, and on those platforms I totally agree that innocent people are drug over the coals, and once you are labeled something, it's hard to recover. Innocent people do get accused, even jailed and even executed. But SafeSport is not the problem here.

Here is a statement that really hits the nail on the head. Credit to Heath Curry.

USEF’s Safe Sport program is supported by grants from the U.S. Dept. of Justice, it is incumbent on all sports to have their Safe Sport programs in compliance not only with U.S. DOJ policies, but practices as well. In juvenile justice, the law does not take the same approach to accusations of wrongdoing, where minors are concerned. The due process is different, the burden on the reporter, organization or mandatory reporter and the agencies that carry out the investigation is “reasonable suspicion”. That’s the law. If you want it changed, I suggest you take that up with your state and federal legislators. So, any talk of “innocent until proven guilty” etc. is not relevant because prior to a trial, there must be an investigation. In almost all jurisdictions, the welfare of the minor is paramount, therefore, the adult can have no contact with that child, and all manner of protections are implemented to protect that child while the investigation is under way. This includes individuals who have pending investigations against them who will, or may, have contact with other children, regardless of the age of the current accuser.

Now, as to USEF’s program, it mirrors other the national Safe Sport program, as that is the cost of participation. We can all agree that there are pedophiles, ephebophiles, and all manner of sexually deviant people in our sport. We like to pretend that it’s “rare”, yet I can name at least 4 nationally and internationally competitive riders whom I know from firsthand experience with their victims or the families of those victims, that have committed any number of sexually inappropriate offenses. I am not a current trainer, or competitive rider. If I can name 4, I’m guessing you can name as many, if not more. 

The point of Safe Sport is to protect children and others who by their participation in this sport could be made vulnerable by a person who holds power over them. 

This includes clients that are children, clients that are women, clients that are men, employees that are women, or men and therefore particularly vulnerable to sexual harassment or assault.

You may not like the process the sport uses to investigate these allegations; however, it would be impossible to protect these victims, or current and future victims, without full disclosure of their claims, publicly. USEF, cannot go into each program, each barn, and confidentially suspend that alleged abuser’s contact with every potential or current victim, including the one making accusations, to say nothing of notifying the victim’s family, so they can take steps to protect that victim. This is the very reason why the program makes allegations public. To protect the victims, notify parents, and others, so they can take steps to remove their child from that environment. 

We all know, and I do particularly well from both personal and professional experience, that many, including parents, would allow their children and their wives, daughters, sons etc. to remain in an abuser’s orbit, simply out of a desire to not “rock the boat”, or “make things worse”, and some will even flat out refuse to believe their own children, in order to maintain access to powerful abusers. That is a reality. Therefore, Safe Sport removes that shelter for abusers, alleged or otherwise, because we know from law enforcement data, juvenile court data, and psychological data that parents and other non-victims will not always do what’s best for the victim. This is a sad reality, but it’s played out every time there is an accusation in the news when people attack the victim. Just imagine in a country where every 9 minutes, DHS,CPS substantiates a claim of child sexual assault. So, if we are defending and gaslighting and otherwise not believing these PUBLIC claims, imagine what happens in homes around the country every 9 minutes, despite proof that allows the case to go to court.

We have an epidemic in this country of sexual assault against children, it’s not a new problem. Families cover it up to avoid embarrassment or loss of access to the power and influence of the abuser, think Michael Jackson and the parents who allowed their young children to share A BED, behind closed doors with a grown man, simply because he bought them houses, paid for their travel etc. This IS NOT a unique phenomenon; it is in fact UBIQUITOUS among victims’ families. We DAILY FAIL our children, women and men who are sexually assaulted.

Our legal system is not perfect. I know this, I have seen firsthand what can happen with an overzealous parent, and a sympathetic prosecutor. I have seen children go to juvenile hall, removed from their homes, and left to sit waiting adjudication, all for having photos, or videos, that they did not take themselves, on their phones. They just happened to be the unfortunate one that didn’t delete the material or were known to be the last to possess it. 
No, the system is not perfect, for either victims, or alleged abusers. For too long, children and women, and yes, men too, have had their claims of sexual assault dismissed, in deference to their abuser’s “rights”. Now, the pendulum has swung back, perhaps too far, time will tell. 

The system isn’t perfect, but until this country starts believing victims, as vehemently as we believe abusers, there will continue to be an inequity of justice. I, for one, would prefer, given what I know of this plague of sexual assault on children in this country, to believe the victims, until such time as the courts prove otherwise.

----

"If your kid is being abused, why don't you call the police, not SafeSport?"
Ummm you should call both.

"I'm a parent and I would NEVER allow someone to touch my kid while I'm in the room"
(a la Larry Nassar).
WHAT? Is that what you think? Do you think the parents of the gymnasts would have answered "oh sure!" to that same question if they were asked that before their children were abused? Don't be naive. You aren't immune to grooming and manipulation.

"There are just as many false accusers as they are actual victims."
NOPE. More stats on false accusations.


via GIPHY
---

What is really disgusting is the way the ASHA (American Saddlebreds) and its members have been reacting. Threatening to leave USEF (still won't exempt them from FEDERAL LAW), throwing fits, and posting ignorant comments. The American Driving Society already up and split.

It BLOWS MY MIND that some organizations and its members are claiming they cannot function under SafeSport. Why is that?

And then I read this:

USEF just reported that memberships were up to approximately 146,000 members. However, three groups have been the primary targets of Safe Sport convictions which include; 1) Saddlebreds 2) Hunter/Jumpers 3) Morgans.

No wonder they are angry. They are being exposed.
(I grew up with Saddlebreds and Morgans love the industries and I was never abused nor witnessed anything, however there were rumors that most certainly went around... just full disclosure) Are they being "targeted?" I don't know. I do know that in these particular industries, the trainers have more "power" than some other disciplines. Clients often buy them vacations, gifts, etc. There seems to be this mentality of trainer worship, where clients are always trying to be "cool" with the trainers and make sure they always like them. That's another can of worms though.

The president of ASHA did release a letter that was well written, (ie. some lawyer did a good job)  and I it seems like they want to do the right thing. So hopefully, they do.

You can read that letter here, along with the Protecting Young Victims from Abuse and Safe Sport Act of 2017.

Saddlebred people break all sorts of USEF rules at their shows but I think they should comply with this one FFS. I adore the Saddlebreds and many of my friends in that industry but good grief people.

via GIPHY

--

My thoughts are this. SafeSport is provides a checkpoint to help stop the rampant abuse in sport. If t helps one victim, f it prevents one incident, then it is worth it. Is is perfect? No. But it's a start. It's something.

There seems to be some corruption on the SafeSport board and that clearly needs to be addressed.
You can read more about that here.

Perhaps we all need to remember that competing under USEF is a privilege. It is essentially a club, and if you don't want to play by the rules then smell ya later.

But most importantly ....

Believe victims.

If you see something, say something.

To read more check out:
US Center for Safe Sport
USEF Safe Sport

16 comments:

  1. I wish we could post gifs in comments because this one needs applause. My absolute favorite comment on the whole situation came from a USEF press release:

    "Abuse has no place in sport or society and sexual misconduct and abuse of minors is intolerable in any situation. Additionally, bullying, harassing or blaming survivors is unacceptable behavior and will not be tolerated. We must stand with and support survivors, with all of our resources."

    Boom. There it is. All you need to know. I should buy a membership this year just to support that statement.

    And don't think that I haven't gone through that stupid petition thing to read all the names and comments of anyone who publicly signed. A nice long list of professionals (trainers, vets, etc etc) with whom I will never do business with again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this. I read some of the recent attacks on safesport and how it was “too rushed” to solve a complex problem, and how it was to blame for a man’s suicide. One of these editorials actually made it to the front page of one of our major e-publications... and they’ve all made me a bit sick, bc of how insistently they overlook the reality of the victims as you outlined above. What we know now about the gymnastics team... or about penn state, the Catholic Church... Or about so many other countless recent examples. About the unwitting complicity of the surrounding adults and parents in the face of mounting evidence. Clearly there are major issues with the status quo and I wonder where the editorials are in defense of the unknown victims who have also killed themselves.

    Also, what really struck me from the pieces I read that came out against safe sport was.... gosh it really seemed like the authors themselves had not taken the course. Which, maybe they should. I learned a lot from that course, including more about how the psychology and grooming processes work and why the signs are easy to miss even by those who would care the most.

    For anyone out there who feels conflicted about the program in light of Gage’s death, maybe spend a little time browsing the modules to see if your feelings change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliantly written. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole outpouring of sympathy and rage of Rob Gage's death really made me feel gross about people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. Extremely well written. I have read in horror to some of the online reactions to Safe Sport, specifically as is relates to the Rob Gage situation.

    I have not commented on it anywhere. But I legit feel that, if you haven't done anything questionable, you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. Full stop. Safe Sport and our justice system don't get it right 100% of the time by a long shot... But they're all we have.

    Keep your side of the street clean, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally with you on this. Despite my better judgement I keep reading all these various posts and comments on facebook and every time I think it can't get any worse, it does. These people certainly prove why Safe Sport is so necessary. There are plenty of improvements to be made in the process, but I think we're on the right track. This sport has a weird trainer-worshiping aspect to it, and the way people jump to defend and protect them (at literally ANY cost) is unlike pretty much any other sport. We've got to get with the times, and that means cleaning house. Rob's suicide was tragic, sure, but that was his choice and can't be blamed on anyone but him. He still had the ability to appeal, but this is what he chose instead. Horrible, but not the system's fault.

    Side note, I've been listening to the Believed podcast that NPR did about Larry Nassar and HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hit the nail right on it's dumb head.

    I'm in the H/J industry - Jimmy Williams was a known quantity when he was exposed to the light of day after his death the old guard was up in arms - "how dare they expose OUR dirty little secret!" I've ridden with Rob, I had really great experiences with Rob he was a good trainer, I was sad when I found out he hung himself, I'm still sad about it, suicide is tragic. But him being a good trainer doesn't mean he was above the law, it doesn't mean he may have done something that most of us wouldn't. But people have a hard time holding two thoughts in their head about a person. I can fully acknowledge that Jimmy williams was both an incredible horseman, but a monster.

    Is SafeSport perfect, no. It's a program run by human beings and human beings are flawed. But I believe it's doing it's job and that if we work within it we have the chance to improve methods and make it better. Do I think USHJA needs to be operating under safesport - that's where I'm not sure. I waffled on this subject a lot after finding out USEA doesn't implement Safesport compliance until Prelim I think. Hunters isn't an olympic sport, neither is equitation, and I don't think any child has ever made the team (Reed Kessler was 18 when she made the team). But I think it's a diction thing, maybe we shouldn't say safesport should operate in UOC governed sports that have children in them, but instead say safesport should work in ALL SPORTS THAT HAVE CHILDREN In THEM that want to operate within the United States.

    A predator will predate regardless of what rules you slap in front of them, so Safesport is about educating the rest of us who might not know what that looks like and providing us an avenue to report it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. Thanks for this post.

    It totally sucks that still - in the 21st century - an adult perpetrator's career-reputation-success-prosperity is routinely deemed more important than the safety/mental and physical health/future life of an abused person - most often child and/or woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SafeSport protects both sides, which is what people often miss. It shows you exactly what steps you need to take to avoid being complicit in fucking up kids. How hard is that? Why don't people want to learn that? Is it perfect? Hell no. I honestly think it doesn't go far enough. However, it's a positive step in an industry where control is often absolute, and parents are often very uneducated or uninvolved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say that after wading through the COTH thread related to Gage's suicide + Safe Sport, and becoming aware (I wish I could turn back time) of the cesspool of support for sexual predators over victims on facebook - reading through this post and these thoughtful comments has returned a bit of my faith in humanity.

    Thank you all ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, I think SafeSport is a PITA, but I'm happy to take extra steps if it keeps kids safe. Yes, it's annoying to have to CC the parents on every single text, but it's not THAT hard in 2019. The parents don't have to respond. You just have to format a group chat the first time and carry on as usual from that point on. I DON'T think SafeSport's videos are going to stop predators. I also don't think it's inappropriate for a trainer to text a minor about things like changes in turn out, etc. Unfortunately, there ARE predators out there and a few bad apples have ruined it for the rest of us. (I am not currently coaching anyone under 18, but I'm a USEF member for competition purposes). As for Robert Gage... I don't think his suicide indicates that he was guilty. I think it indicates that the allegations ruined his life/career. HOWEVER, if he WAS guilty, I don't think it matters if it was yesterday or 40 years ago. Either way, I don't think SafeSport is to blame. If SafeSport saves ONE KID from being sexually abused, it's worth it. I personally hated having to go through the module and answer "super obvious" questions. But I also hate waiting around for ride times at certain shows. That doesn't mean it's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank You! This is the first sane and well-informed post I have seen on this subject. I do not understand the equestrian community's desire to perpetuate abuse through the generations. I have heard so many people say, "Oh, it happened to all of us, suck it up!" No! That's not how it works! Get your shit together, equestrians, or our sport is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for articulating what I have been feeling. It is overwhelming and horrifying to me how many people have ranted about Safe Sport on social media. As a schoolteacher and a mandated reporter because of my chosen career, I think the more we can educate everyone about how to recognize and report abuse the better! Granted, the modules were "boring" to me because I have been a teacher for so long, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist and I had no problems taking the time to do it. I still just don't understand why so many people would rather protect the predator rather than the victim(s). :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pingback. Thank you. https://rodneyssaga.com/2020/06/08/mood-on-monday-other-voices-a-dash-of-hollandaise-in-the-cupcake/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!