The instructor, Ellesse, was in Lexington for a clinic and for a price within my budget so I was all over that opportunity.
Before I get into my clinic notes, I want to do a post solely on the farm that this clinic was conducted at.
Because:
![]() |
| The original stone columns from the mansion. |
![]() |
| The mansion in 1901 |
![]() |
| Cute washracks |
![]() |
| Another shot of the columns |
![]() |
| This old building was mostly storage. I did snoop a bit and it was full of carriages. |
![]() |
| Adorable hunter pony in turnout. |
There is quite a bit of history out on the internet about Elmendorf farm.
Man O' War's sire and dam are both buried on the property, along with a number of other racing champions. It has a history if horse racing going back to the early 19th century.
We stayed at the Columns barn which was easily a half a mile from the main barn and arena. The farm owner suggested I trailer him up for my lesson, but I said it would be a treat for us to make the hack. So that's what we did.
![]() |
| A Hunter barn with a collection of ADORABLE ponies was also staying in this barn for the KY circuit. |
I'm not sure how I found myself stepping foot on this property with my $500 Indiana Warmblood.
![]() |
| The main barn |
![]() |
| Passed some stone lions on our hack to the arena |
But there I was.
And if you are looking for a retirement home for your horse, Stone Column Stables at Elmendorf is top notch. If I am ever in a position where I can retire Hampton to horse heaven, this is my first choice. They don't just chuck them out in a field, they are cared for, grained in the field and have human eyes on them several times a day. You don't get much better than this farm. Shameless plug from me.
I mean it's just down the road from a little farm called Gainsway, too.
Once I was able to pick my jaw off the ground, I remembered I had two days of lessons!
To be continued ...









Wow! You can really feel the history there. And it's gorgeous! Can't wait to hear how the lessons went!
ReplyDeleteWooooooooow
ReplyDeleteSo pretty!! 😍
ReplyDelete😍😍😍😍 WOW
ReplyDelete