![]() |
| Morning on the farm. Can you spot May from May As Well Event? |
We have our first show of the season this weekend!
Naturally, all the wheels are falling off the bus.
Hampton went through a phase where he turned into an utter RAVING LUNATIC for 2 weeks. Spooking, bolting, rearing, rearing and trying to buck at the same time, launching in the air, etc. He actually threw my back out and I had sleep with a heating pad and load up on Advil. There were blisters on my hands from the reins and I ride with gloves.
It was bad.
I had everything under the sun suggested to me on what was wrong, but I decided to treat him for ulcers first. On day two of Ulcerguard, he was so dead quiet it was alarming.
His behavior changed pretty much right away. Yes he will still spook here and there but that is more normal Hampton and not crawling out of his skin Hampton. I've kept him on Ulcerguard and a new supplement to help him out too.
![]() |
| He has been MagnaWaved a couple times, too. |
But then he got .... weird. Hampton has always been a pretty heavy horse in the bridle. He has never cared what bit I used. He could give two shits. But suddenly he is behind the bit, sucked back in the neck, getting his tongue over the bit, wrenching his neck one way. This of course destroys EVERYTHING we do. He could not do even one flying change. In fact he would often just ignore me. Massively crooked, tense back. When Hampton is behind the bit it is the worst feeling ever. He can hang and drag me around ALL DAY and that is better than having no horse in your hands.
I upped the UlcerGuard, and changed bits. I picked out the nicest bits ever - a nice happy mouth curb, and my boucher french link. He was much better in this combo, altho still a tick behind the bridle. But his mouth was much more quiet and our changes were back.
I guess that's what we go with this weekend?
10/10 do not recommend changing your equipment ... um 48 hours before a show.
So I'm heading into this show with a pit in my stomach. Thank fuck I entered 4th level and one PSG, instead of being a hero and debuting at I-1.
But still, I am having PTSD from a couple years ago when he felt like this and it was a DISASTER
I can't find any soreness in his back, but I think perhaps it's time for a vet visit after the show so see if something else is up.
I have a good plan in place to keep him loose at the show so hopefully things will be ok.
*bites nails*


What could possibly go wrong? :D
ReplyDeleteGo get 'em.
Ahahaha! Hampton can't ever let you start your season without some panic, can he?
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing the difference UlcerGard can make. As I was reading this, that was my first thought. You're awesome for thinking, "Hmmm, this is unlike him, I think it's time to look into medical reasons..." Fingers crossed you can figure it out quickly and painlessly for both of you.
ReplyDeleteUgh yeah equipment changes right before a show would send me into an anxiety spiral too. Fingers crossed it all worked out!
ReplyDelete