Monday, May 13, 2019

Equicore

The slave driving wench has put more straps on me.


Hampton was due for a light day so I borrowed a friend's Equicore pad.

It's just a saddlepad with buckles and two rubbery elastic bands. It looks super easy to make one yourself if you were inclined.

Now, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. Which was to just hook up both bands and go right to lunging. I know Hampton would give zero shits, but a more sensitive horse might take offense if you don't introduce it properly.

We did out normal light lunging session and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in his movement. *shrug*

I do see how this system would benefit a horse who likes to hollow his back (not in Hampton's nature or way he is built), or a horse who is recovering from EPM or stall rest or something. And I think it's good resistance training. I like it much better than say a pessoa training rig.

Maybe I'll try riding in it and see if I can feel a difference next time. But Hampton was utterly bored.

Anyway, an interesting tool!

Price: $220
Number of shits given from Hampton: 0
User friendly: 10/10
Website: http://www.equicoreconcepts.com/


Note: I am not getting anything for this lame review. Just my personal opinion.

4 comments:

  1. I've been really curious about this, but once I started long lining I realized it was more effective than any gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's like a Pessoa lunging system?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a review of this sitting in my draft folder. I totally agree with your assessment of the type of horse it works for. My vet and PT (human PT that also does horse bodywork) really like it and I thought it was bogus until I rode with the belly band on and could actually feel the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my own version of the Equiband years ago for Stampede's back issues but I found that I couldn't seem to get bands that held up well. I was buying supposedly the strongest human ones but they would eventually snap or tear, not to mention that they liked to slide and loosen as the horse worked. I've considered buying one a few times to try with Maestro but have never bitten the bullet. Probably most useful for horses with less training (Hampton obviously already knows how to lift and push from behind) or for rehab but I love the idea of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!