Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Newly crowned saint

Alternate title: How to give George Morris a stroke

Dressage peoples don't ever like to display examples of their bad moments. Of bad riding (unless its someone else). Of ugly moments.

But I am not one of those peoples!

Think my lower leg can't go back any farther? HOLD MY BEER.


*Please note that Hampton got many treats and pats and I made a promise to him that I would 1) Never jump larger jumps in my dressage saddle again and 2) always check the distances set BEFORE I send him down a line. You cannot assume that the person before you had them set for a 12-foot stride.


Terrible on my part but Hampton of course willing.


So yes. Hampton has been schooling great so I decided lets have some fun and jump! We the circle of death and nailed it on both leads, so I said "Let's do down that cool grid!"

I this moment I am thinking "Holy Fucking Shit" in my head and threw my shoulders back as best I could.
Hampton: "Little tight human but alright!"


The jumps were wide oxers. But I said, oh they aren't really that big stop being a damn chicken. I just shorten my stirrups in my dressage saddle and generally I am ok as long as the jumps aren't too big. It is impossible to keep your lower leg on, and mine isn't that great in the first place. These jumps didn't seeeeeeem like they were too big. I had convinced myself I was being a wimp.

ha. hahahahaha. #famous last words.

I think I sent him over 3 times before we got an ok jump and quit. I had to keep dismounting and adjusting the distance so that we would not crash. Hampton saved my ass the first time when I realized the ground rail was wrong and I nearly crapped my pants. But Hampton found his feet and got over anyway! Jumping me WAY OUT OF THE TACK in the process. I thanked him profusely.

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!! --- ME
"Where did human go?" -- Hampton, probably

And that is the story of why my horse should be anointed a saint.

Back to dressage now.

8 comments:

  1. Haha!! ❤️🐴 I always did the same to Pig when jumping in my dressage saddle... And even when in a jumping saddle. 🙄 These horses. They love us so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good boy! You are very brave for jumping in a dressage saddle lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture is epic and you need to frame it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i love every single bit of this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good boy! I'm glad you chose to share these. They brightened my night. He's such an honest and willing boy <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Hampton and Theo need to go out for beers while complaining about silly human girls that jump into grids (in dressage saddles!) before checking the distances. In my case, realizing one stride out that it was still set for the resident jumper pony. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG why am I just now reading your blog !!! Amaze-balls. And note to self to get that damn tack trunk over to my area so my saddles can stay at the barn and you can use my jump tack! hahah! Well done, you are still a bad ass.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!