![]() |
| Kasey teaching a friend of mine on her TB/Connemara gelding |
Olympian Kasey Perry Glass was in the area again last weekend. The clinic cost more than my mortgage so obviously I couldn't ride this time, but I did get to audit!
During a short break I talked to Kasey for about 10 minutes. She DID remember me from April and is just the sweetest person possible. I love that she represents USA dressage because I'm not sure you could have a nicer person.
We chatted a bit about what's next for her and her horse Dublet. She might do the World Cup, but is really aiming toward Tokyo 2020. I had to laugh to myself as she was discussing her possible show schedule and how it affects her world ranking.
"Ah yes, Kasey. I def keep my own World Ranking in mind when planning shows."
![]() |
| Sorry for my lack of media |
She also had some funny things to say about this years WEG and the whole hurricane situation and the freestyle getting canceled. Basically she said yes the weather was crappy, but they ride in weather like that all the time in FL. However, it seems Charlotte and Carl (yes THAT Charlotte and Carl) LEFT before the final decision was even made regarding the freestyle. So reading between the lines I wondered if that was a big reason it was just canceled.
She was also very sweet and asked about Hampton. I of course proudly explained how we were polishing the 2-tempis and even touching on the 1s. She seemed genuine and was very encouraging. Here we come Tokyo 2020!!! #not
Sadly I had to work that afternoon so only caught about 4 rides. She is a very patient, kind teacher and worked well with both green pairs and more experienced.
Here are my notes:
- Leg on anytime you take with your hands
- in shoulder-in, counterflex if the horse isn't listening to your inside leg. Push shoulders in
- In counter canter, play with change of flexion
- If your horse bobs his head in the canter, push toward the hand and play with the bit
- Transitions within gaits to build strength
- Be able to put the poll wherever you want
- Flying changes: Push off the new inside leg before change
- Do changes on small lines (like a figure 8). It shortens the space you have to collect them
- If they "stop" in their mouth, go forward
- In half pass, anytime they want to slow or disconnect, change to a leg yield, go fwd
- Open inside rein in half pass to help shoulder over
- Shoulder fore to half pass and back to shoulder fore
- Transitions!
- Keep a slight shoulder fore in mediums


Those are some great notes, and how great that you got to audit!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, some great points.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun clinic to audit!! Thank you for capturing some notes for us.
ReplyDelete