Monday, October 22, 2018

How to win an equitation class

Also, make sure your stock tie is straight.
Wow I was a mess by the last class of Regionals.


How to win an equitation class

Here is how the dressage eq classes go. ALL competitors enter the ring for walk and trot rail work. The announcer will call out when you switch gaits. If there are a lot of riders, they will split the class into groups for canter work. After this, riders exit the ring and then do individual patterns.

Here's how to nail this fun class!

(purchased photo)


1) CHECK FOR A PATTERN.
Check the show office, check if it's posted on any boards, check your show packet. Ask other competitors. Ask the show office. Just CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A FUCKING PATTERN POSTED BEFORE THE CLASS.

2) It's not about pretty riding, it's about smart riding
Yes, judges are looking for independent hands and seat. But you will score major points for riding smart. Watch your traffic. I mean literally watch it. I will constantly look around to see where other horses are. If there is a big hole, I will cut across the ring or circle to put myself in a better spot. Ride off the rail if you have to. When I was a saddleseat rider, it could get pretty nasty in the ring. Know what to do when someone cuts you off, know how to manage traffic problems and how to confidently ride out of them.

I think there was 14 or 15 in my class at Regionals!


3) Ride a solid horse.
A good equitation horse should help you, not hinder you. Your horse should be able to walk, trot and canter in groups quietly. They should maintain a consistent rhythm and maintain the gait you asked for, until you decide otherwise. They should go on the bit, and be reliable there. If you are competent at first level, you can do an equitation class. I have found the patterns will not ask for anything above this level. Smooth gaits are a plus. The horse is not judged in these classes, but if you ride some green squirrel on crack that is still iffy with his leads, it won't help your case.

World's Best Eq Horse right here. Needs new pilot.


4) Be accurate.
As with all of dressage, be accurate with your pattern and any requests during the class. If they ask you to sit the trot at C, sit the trot at C. Not when they call for sitting trot.

5) Confidence. Even if it's fake.
If you make a mistake, correct it quickly and with purpose. If you had no idea what the pattern was, do the wrong one but do it with purpose. Don't be sloppy.

And: Never let them see you sweat!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, in breed shows the equitation classes are all patterns and in hunter/jumper they are rail classes - sounds like a combination of the both in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never seen one of these here but I think I would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!