Friday, September 7, 2018

Herd Hierarchy

Spring 2010


When Hampton was a young boy, he fell toward the bottom of the herd pecking order.

He often came in from the field looking like he went through a meat grinder. Bites, wounds and scrapes everywhere. Sometimes he was chased off the roundbale.

He was bossed around by bossy mares and a ornery little pony or two.

But then, almost overnight it seemed like - things changed.

I think he was 4 here.


It was shortly after we moved to KY, and he was living out in a large field of other geldings. Often times, residents of this field would change because OTTBs fresh off the track would often transition to this field for some time off.

During the summer of 2012, there was a recently gelded OTTB out in that field who really did not have a fond opinion of humans at the time. He was so nasty, that I had started to carry a whip out into that field in case he would charge me.

Hampton and buds Spot and Royale a couple years ago.


One day, I had caught Hampton and was leading him back to the gate. My back was turned toward the rest of the field, and I didn't even hear the galloping hoofbeats coming up behind us.

I felt a pull on the lead rope, and turned around to see this other horse charging - ears pinned - right at us, and Hampton immediately swung his rump and double-barrel fired at this other horse. Protecting himself, and also me, from possibly getting pretty hurt.

OMG a puny porkchop


I was super grateful for him that day - I never saw it coming! And after that, I started to notice more and more that he was inching his way up the ladder.

Now I would classify Hampton as a mob boss. All he has to do is pin his ears and horses SCATTER like bowling balls. He will not let other horses come up to me in the field (unless I specifically have him and another horse haltered). He is a drug lord and no one fucks with Hampton.

From the other day - a new pony was out in a field and Hampton noticed.
WHO GOES THERE???
I AM LORD PORKCHOP
He was all puffed up like some sort of stallion.


But he also isn't a bully. He doesn't beat on other horses for no reason. He doesn't have to, usually bullies are low on the totem pole and are acting like douche bags to try and work their way up. Hampton has a quiet authority, and everyone respects him.

I'd like to think he gained more confidence in the herd as he grew and gained more confidence about life. He easily fits into any herd now, and can live with mares and geldings. He DOES respect alpha mares still, though, and will not challenge them. hahaha! Smart boy.

When Hampton wants a donkey of his own, HE MEANS IT.
(this was for a photo shoot only, he doesn't live with these two)


And if you are a gelding, if you respect his rules then all is peaceful in the field.

Lord Porkchop.

I think Royale likes Hampton because Hampton tells him what to do.


Where does your horse fall on the totem pole?

Also, CAN WE STOP WITH THE HUMIDITY.
The bra line is not a good look for me.
This was before I even rode!

3 comments:

  1. omg lord porkchop the equine drug lord i'm dying hahahahah and yes, yes he needs a mini donk to call his own

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riva is not Princess Diva - she is Queen Diva! She bosses poor Fergie around all day long. Riva has always been top of the totem pole wherever she has been. We knew Fergie was more bottom of the pecking order when we bought her - so all is well at the Wood Ranch :) Interesting how Hampton has moved up the ladder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!