Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Great Shoe Debate

My farrier was out the very next day, thankfully, to get Hampton set up with his new shoes.

However, there was a problem.

The vet had prescribed an aluminum reverse shoe.

Yes, that would be a shoe put on backwards.


Example of a reverse shoe

BUT. My farrier disagreed for a number of reasons.
1. Hampton lives outside and would burn through an aluminum shoe quickly.
2. He didn't like the idea of the toe being unprotected.
3. He has never had a vet prescribe a reverse shoe ever, except in severe laminitis cases where the horse is on stall rest and on fluffy shavings.

Farrier suggested we start with bar shoes.

However, when he called the vet - who by the way, is working for one of the top lameness vets in the state if not the country - the vet said, and I quote, "Put on the reverse shoe and I'll take the blame."

So this puts my farrier in a weird position. His gut, and YEARS of experience shoeing horses, says start with a bar shoe. But he doesn't want to go against a vet's request because that could really damage his reputation if word got out. The majority of his business is referrals from vets.

I totally understood and respect that.

So here I am, stuck in the middle of two men who admittedly have large egos, and all I want is WHAT IS BEST FOR MY HORSE. I was annoyed that this vet didn't even TRY to discuss a plan with my farrier. It was just my way or the highway. Oh if the horse suffers for it I'll take the blame? WHAT? WTF MAN?

So Hampton ended up getting bar shoes which I am totally OK with. I know vet's have this big degree and everything, but they don't work on feet for a living. So I went with what my farrier's gut feeling was. I feel like this was the best decision for Hampton right now. And if it doesn't work, we can try something else. You can always get more aggressive and creative. I also got the opinion of another farrier I respect, and he also said that reverse shoes were not his favorite. I am sure they do work in same cases, and may work on Hampton, too, but I'd rather start with the bars and see what that does. I'd rather not leave his toe unprotected unless I have to. Both provide the heel support he is probably wanting anyway.

Porkchop got custom welded straight bar shoes with clips


And I won't be telling the vet! Ssshhhhh.

What would you have done in this situation?

13 comments:

  1. Without a detailed explanation from the vet I would have made the same choice as you 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone with the farrier. Have worked for vets that have gone off the deep end with solutions and bulled their way in situations because of the DVM behind the name. But at the same time I can respect a vet’s diagnosis and opinion, but leave the solution and options to the owner and their specialist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tricky situation. "I'll take the blame" is not a very comforting statement...

    A farrier's expertise and experience is specialized, and your farrier has had hands on Hampton on an almost monthly basis for how long? If it were my horse I'd lean toward the farrier's course of action. You can always ramp things up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlos also went in bar shoes for a while on the bad foot (also aluminum did nada for him shock absorption wise, always went really lame in aluminums)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez, that's a tough situation to be in. Probably I would have gone with the farrier like you did, because when the horse is barefoot, the whole hoof touches the ground. It seems like the bar shoe would provide similar support. But I'm definitely NOT an expert, so...

    As long as Porkchop was sound after, that's the important thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Put the shoe on and I'll take the blame" would be very unnerving to me to hear. I have a distinct distrust of farriers because so many have lied to me and so many have ruined my horse's feet, so I honestly probably would have gone with the vet, but only due to my own history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gone with my farrier. I don't understand why you would want to keep the toe open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh...it so depends. Every time I have went against my gut, it has turned out badly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is definitely a difficult situation to be in. Considering my relationship with my personal farrier and the fact that he constantly tries "new things" and they just make my horse better every time - I would probably have done what you did. Go with the gut feeling of the person who works on feet for a living. But it is tough to go against vet recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear lord, that is a really sucky situation for YOU to be in! Ugggg! I love both my vet and my farrier and would have also had a really hard time with a situation like this. I have heard way too many situations where this happens between a vet and farrier. But, I too, would have taken my farrier's advice to heart and started with bar shoes. Crossing my fingers for Hampton!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trust the specialist. I would have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh geez. In this, I probably would have gone with the bar shoe too. Reverse shoe... I donno. Unless the vet didn't share some thoughts about breakover (I imagine not having the toe covered changes breakover?), I don't see why a bar shoe wouldn't be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes. That's a tough one. I have been in this exact situation, and I went with my vet for the opposite reason; the farrier didn't want to discuss things with the vet. It was HIS way or the highway. The farrier quit. We took Speedy to a different farrier, the one the vet uses for more serious hoof issues, and Speedy was sound immediately with the vet's suggestions. The vet then recommended a different farrier for monthly work, and I still use him.

    I actually really liked the first farrier. He was knowledgable, but he thought my vet was blaming his work. It wasn't that, it's just the vet saw something that needed to be changed. I think if I had been in your situation I would have gone with the farrier's suggestion as well. When someone won't consider a different path, that always leaves me doubting their suggestion. Hopefully Hampton gets the relief he needs with the bar shoe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!