![]() |
| Remember when Balmoral was 75, breezy and no humidity?! Ahhhhh PC: J. Kaiser |
The other day I played with the 2-tempis a little bit! I have never ridden the twos, not even on a schoolmaster so it was the blind leading the blind here. But slowly I am finding the rhythm. I can get about 4, before I start to lose the balance and jump in the canter. I'll slowly start to add more as we get better at this. In the I-1 you have to do 7 changes in the line of 2s. And by the time you get to Grand Prix I believe you have to do nine changes. So you gotta start somewhere! I figure I would keep doing 4, and making them good for a while and then start to add a couple more - instead of just trying to flail through 7 when it's not necessary right now.
__
And last week during a super insta-sweat day, I took Hampton down the road for a session on the water treadmill! We are so lucky that our farm is about 1/4 mile from a large race training facility. Might as well take advantage of that! I didn't even need to trailer. Just walked my horse down there like the hillbillies we are.
At first Hamp was a little skeptical of this contraption, but willingly walked in. And the two guys were absolute pros on teaching horses about treadmills. Once Hampton figured out all he needed to do was walk, he relaxed and actually looked pretty happy and cocky about figuring out this new game.
The guys said most horses start blowing and puffing after about 5 minutes for their first time on the treadmill. Hampton did so well he ended up doing 8 minutes and was not winded whatsoever. Gradually, you increase their time to about 20 minutes. The race horses work on the treadmill daily!
It cost me $60 so this certainly won't be daily for Hampton, but maybe every other week? It was super cool to see how he had to work all his muscles, and I think it might be good to add to his program. Especially since he enjoyed it and really took to it!
__
On out way walking back the owner of the farm drove up next to us in his car. He said "Excuse me. I would like to know why you were on my property with that horse."
I was like, "Um we were using the aquatread and we just live down the road so I walked?" And he sort of laughed and said no problem and drove away.
I mean, does it look like I am stealing a race horse sir? Look at my horse. LOOK AT HIM. lol. But the fella was nice he just didn't know what the hell we were doing. #wehilljacks
__
Next plans include a show in August, and hopefully a clinic!

Those two's OMG <3 <3 <3!!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso I kind of got accused of stealing T when i went to get him from the trainer's. BO didn't know who i was and ended up calling like 5 people to make sure I was telling the truth. Dunno if that's a good thing or... ?
That's SO COOL about the treadmill being so close to home! I'm not surprised at all that Hampton exceeded their expectations. Dressage horses are freaking FIT! I have been walking Grif in the pond at our new place a lot, maybe I'll try for 5-10 minutes 2x a week to keep his fitness up on days I'm short on time. He LOVES the water and it's a great escape from the flies.
ReplyDeleteOoooohhhhh you guys are looking so good!
ReplyDeleteThat is really cool you have access to a water treadmill. I love that the farm owner stopped you on the way out hahaha. Sorry, sir, we are just hillbillies hahaha.
Absolutely love watching your journey with this horse! You guys are awesome.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool that you get to use the aqua treadmill. We have a regular treadmill on property (owned by a different trainer) and I'm too chicken to ask them if they would let me pay to use it sometime.
ReplyDeleteThat aquatread is SUPER COOL. But not as cool as TWO TEMPIS!! So damn fancy
ReplyDeleteWait... that water treadmill is just down the road? Hmmmm might have to keep that in mind when we start to leg up again next year. Although, I am pretty certain no one is going to accuse me of stealing a race horse.
ReplyDelete