| Fine harness class |
The Rock Creek horse show is 2 miles from my house, so I stopped by Tuesday evening to watch some of the show.
| My former trainer at the head of the horse. |
I really admire how the Saddlebred community has found the formula for success for their shows. They draw a good crowd, even on a Tuesday evening, charge people to watch ($10, although I snuck in the back way and pretended I was a groom. Probably looked like one, too), and they have vendors, booze and shopping. Plus you can hoot and holler all you want, making for a fun atmosphere!
Granted, I know that a large reason is because the clientele in Saddlebred land have way more money than they know what to do with, but I think Dressage can perhaps take a lesson or two on how to put on a horse show!
| Their "warm up ring" was basically this long, straight strip |
Anyway I watched a handful of classes and said hello to my former trainers. As usual they have a lovely string of horses and win a lot.
You can take tools from trainers in other disciplines, which I continue to do. I learned a lot riding with and working for them and being behind the scenes at shows. I know some may not agree with the shoes and training aids that are sometimes used, but the horses are treated well and get top notch care.
| William Shatner and his entourage |
| Hackney pony! |
They are beautiful to watch in the show ring. Granted, some dressage would CERTAINLY help some of the riders who can't seem to make their horses straight to save their own life, but then again - they don't care about straightness in this sport. They don't need to. So what if your horse canters sideways down the rail? As long as it's cantering you are pretty good! And who cares if it basically leaps and flails in transitions?!
The only disappointing thing I saw was the Hunter under saddle class for the saddlebreds. I think there were 5 entries and 2 of them were quite lame. The winner was nice, but in order to win this class you would need to shoe your horse (like more than just a normal shoe) and teach it to have a "head set." Which I think is unfortunate, as I don't think the class should be ex-English horses in huntseat tack.
| Two hunter entries. |
| Equitation rider |
| The in-gate |
Saddlebred shows are a good time though. And I give the lemon shake ups an A+!
Plus where else can you see William Shatner hanging on for dear life behind his harness horse who basically took him for a ride and then WINS the class?
| William Shatner awaiting the results |
I really like watching a good saddleseat show -- there's nothing like seeing a truly great 5-gaited horse racking down the rail!
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool that you got see William in action! I have always been fascinated by the fact that he is into horses.
ReplyDeleteI love watching other disciplines. Fun fact: I showed saddleseat for a few years!
ReplyDelete