Monday, April 9, 2018

KPG Clinic: In which all the stars align

Just us and a 2016 Bronze Medalist. No biggie.


This is the story about how the stars and universe aligned for one day of awesomeness.

---

About a month before the Kasey Perry Glass clinic, there was some problems finding a date that worked for everyone. Kasey is prepping for WEG, so she could not make it to the originally scheduled date, Saturday April 7.

So after some back and forth, we finally had to decide on a weekday for the clinic. Unfortunately, I lost a couple of clinic participants but there was really no other option.

We decided on a Tuesday, April 3.

Um so an Olympian is teaching IN OUR ARENA!


--

My coach and I spent a day cleaning up the farm and arena and everything was looking great.
Only problem was that it has been COLD and CONSTANTLY RAINING OR SNOWING in Kentucky for an obscene amount of time.

As the clinic drew closer, the forecast was at least warmer but still said severe thunderstorms. When it rains, you can't really hear well in our covered arena. Would the weather be a factor? A couple of people were also hauling in and I was a little nervous about their travels, too.

Liz and I discussing world problems before my ride.


--

So the day of the clinic rolls around. Other than Jen having to haul down in a storm (sorry Jen!), the day was ... perfect. It was in the 70s, and sunny. No rain all day! It was a bit windy at times but nothing major. It wasn't until the clinic ended when a wicked storm finally marched in.

Talk about lucky!

--

As far as the clinic itself. BOMBDIGGITY.

It made me so happy to see my friends enjoy their rides. And Kasey was about as pleasant and sweet as could be. She was very humble and quite positive. She worked through problem areas with patience and thoughtfulness.

Clinic riding photos by Leah Strid

Hi Kasey so uhhh we sturggle with tempis. And staying uphill. Also he isn't the most
supple creature. OK WE NEED HELP WITH IT ALL.


I found out during my ride that this was her first clinic - EVER! haha!

We worked on our tempi changes - with Kasey really encouraging me to make him hot hot hot and bubble up under me. This really helped improve our 3 tempis especially.

Stay straight. On the aids. Listening.



Toward the end we touched on some half steps and passage feeling. Hamp really wasn't offering his passage trot. He hasn't been lately, and I think his SI needs injected. But we got some OK half steps. He really needs to lower his croup now, and get off the forehand.

Good hind leg, but still on the forehand.

Not really doing anything

THERE. Croup lowered, poll comes up. Getting there.


We also touched on some pirouette canter - going in and out of working canter.

We both worked pretty hard and I was super pleased with our fitness. Neither one of us ran out of gas.

Love that left hind finally under the horse.

Better in the poll, but could be higher

Loved how Kasey was active in her teaching. She never sat down!


--

After riding we took many photos - making Hampton feel like a celebrity. Man he is really going to get an ego! lol! I did a short interview with Kasey, too. I was pretty nervous but it went ok! There should be an article up sometime soon on Dressage Today. Everyone from the magazine was SUPER NICE.

As for the saddle, that should be fitted sometime soon. So excited about this.

We also got swag bags from Triple Crown and Custom.

Aww Hamps. Not sure what I am saying.

Pretty accurate photo of me and my barn friends lol



---

A pretty surreal day that could not have gone better. Such wonderful horses and riders of all levels and varieties. I loved spending the day with my friends and seeing them have fun.

Also the amazing Leah drove all the way up to take all these awesome photos of all participants! It is settled, I will be inviting myself to her place sometime!

Chatting

Hampton you dweeb.





... oh and that original date of April 7? It was 32 that day and snowed!


10 comments:

  1. "surreal" sounds like the perfect word for it - you guys look fantastic and it sounds like KPG did a really really excellent job of creating meaningful and productive work with a new perspective and fresh insights, despite not doing many clinics!

    in some ways that's kinda nice bc sometimes with folks who just do clinic after clinic, it can end up feeling like you're just getting plugged into their formula, instead of getting a really individualized lesson.

    anyway tho, that's awesome - what a cool day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh 😁😁😁😁 it was SUCH an experience, I loved it so much. Thanks for letting me invite myself, haha. And you're welcome to come take my "kids" for a spin any time!!! I want to drag Jen out too, visit the Clydesdale babies and stuff 😍

    You and Hamps were a pleasure to watch. So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome, looks like a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible experience. You and Hampton look amazing! Kasey sounds like a really incredible human. I love that the weather worked out perfectly for the clinic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeee how perfect! So glad it all worked out... April 7th was never meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful experience! Sometimes I feel like clinics can be hit or miss, but this sounds super. And a new saddle too! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad Leah was able to come up to memorialize the whole experience with media. Sounds like everyone had a fantastic time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you won! You deserved it. What an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool experience!! Thrilled for you. Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So freaking cool you got to do this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!