Monday, April 16, 2018

Ice-Ice-Landics

Really wanted to stuff this one in my purse.


Last week a dear friend of mine drove down to visit and to "casually horse shop." She is looking to add another horse to her family and has an interest in Icelandic Ponies. She asked if I would be interested in taking a riding lesson with her at a farm about 30 minutes from me.

YES. DUH. PONEHS. Was my answer.

It was snowing and freezing cold that morning but we were not deterred.

I have lived in KY for almost 6 years now and STILL the farms in some areas are mind blowing. As was the case with Lettleiki Icelandics. Absolutely gorgeous farm. They have a straight track on one side of the property that was clearly for TOLTING PONEHS REALLLLY FAST that just about made me squeal.

Our riding instructor was really lovely and nice, kindly answering all of our questions. We took a tour and got to meet a number of insanely adorable ponies.

This is Svali fra Tjorn 
Check out more on Svali. He is a Breyer horse, too! Super sweet stallion.

This forelock is just a damn blessing.


Then she assigned us our steeds for the day and we quickly tacked up and headed to the - also insanely gorgeous - indoor arena. I was assigned Leifa, a 20 year old pinto mare. She did not look 20 and surprisingly I did not feel too big for her, even though she was maybe 13 hands? I could tell she was a schoolmaster type - she wasn't going to put in any effort that was not required. But when asked, she was more than happy to work. My friend Steph had a more green mare, Rimba.

Me with Rimba, left, and Steph with Liefa


Icelandics are either 3, 4 or 5-gaited. They walk, trot, canter - and tölt and pace are the bonus gaits.

I found the tölt to be really similar to the slow gait in Saddlebreds. I was able to get Leifa to tölt easily but simply picking her head up, slowing the walk and basically making her really lateral. Then with a cluck they simply fall into the tolt.

The footfall of tölt:
1 = left hind foot
2 = left front foot
3 = right hind foot
4 = right front foot

Entrance to the farm


After giggling like a 12 year old, I played with more buttons. I actually had a hard time getting her to trot. The aid for trot is to give a super long rein, and lean forward a bit. I would say that the trot was pretty flat, and has very little suspension. And I got the impression that the canter was pretty ignored in their training. In order to canter, you had to ask in a corner to get the right lead - again lean forward and make your seat light. Leifa cantered right off but it was flat and strung out. Kind of like the Saddlebreds, I think the canter is sort of ignored and treated as a necessary evil. They don't really work on it, because it starts to interrupt the tölting. If I had an Icelandic I wouldn't canter either. I would do nothing but tölt lol!

But the ponies were well educated. They took a nice contact, and Leifa knew some lateral work.

I am always fascinated by how different people manage their horses. At this farm, they have double fencing. Which is not uncommon, but how they use it is something different! They will run small herds of ponies in between fences and chase them with an ATV to simulate running in the herds in Iceland. Great exercise!

I had a total blast and would def go back again for another lesson. Learned a ton about a new discipline and different training methods.

And as for Steph ... she is starting her search for an Icelandic!

More information about Icelandics:

The 5 GAITS

MORE ABOUT THE TOLT AND FLYING PACE

11 comments:

  1. Squee! They are sooooooo cute 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved Icelandics since seeing a documentary on them when I was a kid. I'm hoping to own one someday so it was really cool to see this post! I have a couple of online friends that even do dressage with theirs which is pretty cool. With training their canters are actually really nice with lots of jump ( or at least this one's canter is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun!! I've always wanted to ride the tolt, it sounds super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ermahgawd HOW MANY DID YOU STEAL???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh they are so cute! We have a local Icelandic farm here in Maine and I have always thought it would be cool to take a lesson on one. But be careful....they are HORSES not ponies!! ;-) I was educated on this once haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day when I'm an old woman I'm going to get one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tolting on an Icelandic us on my horse bucket list. In Iceland preferably!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A) Yes, you should have put at least one in the back of your car
    B) In my dream barn, I have at least 2 Icelandics, so my husband and I can have beer holding tolt races
    C) The floofy forelock on Svali!!! WOW!
    D) Trying new disciplines is so fun. This is not one I have tried, but it is on my bucketlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeahhh, I basically squealed like a little girl the whole time stalking their website. OMG PONIES EVERYWHERE. There are two Icelandics that are at the park I trail ride at all the time I literally cannot stop the noises that come out of me when I see them. OMG PONIES.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!