Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Show horses welfare?

Taking a quick detour from #roadtoregionals posts for something controversial.

#pokethebear




Saw this gem posted on the site of a well-known American Saddlebred training stable. Someone is selling these signs for $20. It's not clear to me whether or not the UPHA actually endorses posting these.

I immediately thought SHADY SHADY SHADY when I saw this.

I love saddlebreds, I do. And while I don't agree with some of the training practices, most trainers are not what I would consider outright abusive. (There are some that of course are, as with any discipline).

In any case. This isn't spinning the ASB industry in a positive light in my opinion.

UPDATE: This particular stable took down this post. A number of people also thought this sign was not putting ASBs in a good light. Interesting.

9 comments:

  1. any time a professional rider or trainer (in any discipline or any type of breed) gets salty about pictures, i get suspicious. as far as i'm concerned, amateurs have the right to privacy bc we're not selling ourselves as experts. professionals tho? they don't get the right to shroud their 'wares' in mystery, nor should they need a reason to 'protect' themselves from the fallout if whatever they're doing is made public. this is especially so with a breed organization historically plagued by values where the competitive end justifies the training means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suuuure... I mean I get that even the best training practices can sometimes be caught at a bad moment (like if you snap a picture just as TC arches his neck to pounce on a butterfly, you could probably catch a moment where it looks like rollkur), but to ban pictures completely?? No. Especially not when you're at a public event. That just seems REAL sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if their welfare is #1, then pictures should be totally allowed and encouraged! This sign somehow implies that taking pictures causes negative welfare (um, my horse doesn't like the internet to know he has four chins, okay?) oooor the other thing: there's poor welfare to be caught in those pics.

    Logic. These people has it. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like there should be a certain amount of openness when it comes to training. A skilled photographer can make a horrible ride look good and the opposite can also occur. But to totally ban pictures and videos seems incredibly sketchy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand it from both sides. But namely I don't feel that a sign is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No photos or videos...just like in those European dressage warm ups. Shady as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This IS interesting. If you have some sort of proprietary training, I can understand, maybe, wanting to protect that. However, in the horse world, I would think people need to be able to see what you're doing (at least a little) to know that it isn't cruel.

    This entire article makes me think of a recent story from Monty Roberts and his visit to the famed Spanish Riding School in Vienna. At one point Monty askes the school to show him a way to train their incredible dressage tricks without harsh tactics... The interview is here. It's worth a listen: http://www.horseradionetwork.com/2017/08/31/trainer-monty-roberts-unprecidented-demonstration-at-the-spanish-riding-school-95-by-omega-fields/

    Glad to see the update, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely shady. Also bad grammar and punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly what Megan said- you can catch good horses and good riders in bad positions (as someone else with a horse who likes to curl BTV), and that would be bad press. But banning pictures entirely... uhhh SHADY.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!