![]() |
| Oh hey kids. Don't try jumping this big in a dressage saddle mmm k? #LowerlegFAIL |
How do you all prepare for a major championship competition?
(I mean besides randomly jumping your horse through grids?)
I'll be honest. I have never competed at USDF Regionals before. And the last time I competed at anything close to this level was probably in college when I catch-rode a horse at the Morgan Grand National and World Championships in OKC.
I think it's important to treat Regionals as "just another horse show." Because it is. No use in putting extra pressure on myself or my horse.
But it is pretty special to be there, so I am doing extra things here and there to help us prep.
| THAT'S A LOT OF PEOPLE IN MY CLASS OH SHIT. |
Spoiling the horse
Hamps is getting two magnawave treatments (he LOVES magnawave. After freaking the F out during his first treatment, he now thinks it's the bee knees)
Fresh shoes. Had my farrier do tiny adjustments to help Hamp have more traction in his hind end. Very minor, but makes a huge difference.
New DSB boots. Got him a fresh pair of white DSB boots to school and warm up in.
Nexium. So this is interesting. I started Hamp on Nexium - yup the same OTC med I take - to see if it would help some of his random spooking and teeth grinding. I toss in 3 pills a day for him. Now, it could be a coincidence but his spooking is GONE and the teeth grinding and chomping now only occurs during high pressure training. Interesting. So, I'm keeping him on it through regionals. I should buy stock in Nexium. Between myself and the horse, we go through about 2 bottles A WEEK. I will also have some GUT on hand, and probios for closer to show time incase he gets the nervous poos.
Clipping. Will be going all out for clipping. Hind socks, cornet bands for sure. And the usual under the jaw and general tidying of his ear hair. His tail has already been dyed.
Next up: Spoiling the rider
What do you all do to prep? The horse and yourself?

Hmmm... Nexium... interesting. I wish I puthink more effort into show prep for myself but normally it's just making sure my clothes are clean. Wait... that's a lie. I now have this habit of making sure my teeth are flossed, toenails are clipped, and shave... that was if I have to get carried off to the hospital I'll be fresh for a few days. ^.^
ReplyDeleteMostly I'm trying not to panic. Thanks, though.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to body clip T because he grew in his entire winter coat last night. Fantastic. Also we do omeprazole up to and during the show (I will also get omeprazole before and during the show). And his favorite bodyworker lady to see him. And also he'll get new sneakers the week before. Probably I'll clean my tack too... ;D
Kick ass and take names!
I try and get new shoes on too - get some hacking in for kicks and also I like to give pep talks hahah we are crazy us horse people.
ReplyDeleteYou got this! Kick bootay!
I would like to come back as your horse ;)
ReplyDelete