![]() |
| He is so wittle. |
And we are not talking just the back hills and fields, we are talking down to the creek which involves mud, hills, logs, creek crossings, rocks, woods, branches, and eventually the big creek.
Thankfully we were with a group of experienced, calm horses. So I figured what better time to take him out?
My concerns were not needed.
He took to this trail riding thing like a fish to water. Immediately into a wonderful stride, neck down, ears up. He was fine with leading (except during some iffy spots like the creek or major mud bogs, but that's quite understandable). He was fine with following. He was fine with other horses coming up beside him. He was fine with everything!
Even when he was insecure, it just took a long rein and a lead from one of the calmer horses and he would go. Surprisingly, I even got him to go into the big creek! And we have had some major rain lately so it was high, and the current was quite loud. In he went after some mild encouragement.
This from the saddlebred who freaks the F out when you try to give him a bath.
He was a really good sport about all the usual stuff that happens on the trails - like getting hit in the face with branches at times, his rider having to duck (although I certainly did not have to duck NEARLY as much as I am used to! ha!), horses splashing behind him, rocky terrain, etc.
He never offered to spook or be naughty, or take off or anything stupid.
We even had moments where he STOOD STILL like a pack horse. It's a Christmas miracle people.
And he had plenty of gas in the tank when we got home ... which started some wheels starting to spin in my head.
Hey, if this dressage thing doesn't work out for him. He may just fine his niche in endurance.
Which then led me to look up endurance events in the area ........



Awwww, what a good baby Skedaddlebred! Side note: I would totally be game for trying endurance with you.
ReplyDeleteDo it! It's fun!
ReplyDeleteThere is a Facebook page dedicated entirely to American Saddlebreds in endurance. Just saying ....
ReplyDeleteSounds like a really fun time! I love the comment about not ducking as much. I know I appreciate that on trail rides with my pony :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a good baby horse!
ReplyDeleteOooooh has he found his niche??
ReplyDeleteThis is so freaking awesome. I love a good sane trail horse - to me, they're worth their weight in gold
ReplyDeleteAw, what a good boy!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good pony!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good baby Royale!
ReplyDeleteGood boy, indeed! Give him some endurance cross-training - definitely won't hurt. =)
ReplyDeleteAre you gonna do the thing that I did where I got bored riding my kind of fancy dressage horse in the ring and she loved trails so I basically have done exclusively trails for like... 6 months? Although tragically my area is a bit of an endurance desert, hopefully you have better luck in KY ;) Good boy Royale, what a superstar!
ReplyDelete