| Photos courtesy of Aimee |
We have a schooling show this weekend and I'm actually looking forward to it in spite of the fact that it was will be CHAOS and INSANITY because I am showing Hampton and Royale in 2 classes each, and they are all scheduled within about 2 hours of each other. Bring it on though.
I decided to enter Hampton in 2-3, and 3-3. Here's why:
Confidence. Not only did I have my confidence shattered at Mid-Ohio, but Hampton's was, too. He is a laid back dude, and very stoic, but also incredibly sensitive emotionally. When he thinks he is in "trouble" he gets highly over-reactive. He knows when he has messed up, and knows when he has done really well. There was no reward at Mid-Ohio. We both need to go in the arena, have a really great ride and feel like we can do this again.
| Need to feel like this again |
Just in case. On the other hand, should Hampton decide to act like a mule again, it is far easier for me to make corrections in a Second Level test, rather than fight my way through Fourth level and have to do tempis or pirouettes with a horse who is a hot mess. That is not setting myself or him up for success.
Something NQR. Hamps has not been the same since Mid-Ohio. He has been ok, and not lame per se, but he has been extra spooky, and argues about silly shit. For example, today we were cantering and I asked for some counter bend. He threw a total fit about it. Swapping leads, canter sideways, popping up on front. WTF? To me this says he is uncomfortable somewhere. He did cooperate eventually, and we had a nice moments. But something just isn't right. I have a call in to a super lameness vet to look at him next week. I am afraid it might be time to inject stifles or hocks. He is already on several ulcer-preventatives, but will do a round of omneprozole, too. In the meantime, there is no reason to push him past his comfort zone. And 2-3 is well within his comfort. Third-3 we may run into some problems, but we'll see. He should be ok if I warm him up and let him unlock appropriately.
| This please. |
Year-end awards/Regionals. Here's the thing. I spent a shit ton of money on memberships, registry fees, etc thinking that I would aim Hamp for some breed awards and regionals this year. I simply do not have the money to keep chasing 60% at 4-3 this year. I can only afford to enter 2, maybe 3, rated shows a year if I am lucky. One of those is already gone. I would really like to go to Regionals this year because it is so close. How about I show at 2-3, and 3-3 and get better scores, qualify for Regionals, and have a better chance at some breed awards, rather than continue to throw money down the drain and hope and pray for a 60% at 4-3? Then get CLOBBERED at Regionals? This comes down to setting myself up for success and I would much rather do that, then continue to feel defeated and overfaced this year. Getting score after score in the 50s is very discouraging.
I am not giving up, just going back to rebuild.
Later this summer I still plan on debuting at PSG (yeah, fuck 4-3. It can eat my butt) and hopefully getting my silver medal! Just need to get Hamp comfortable, and confirm those tempis and pirouettes! Also need to play more with the double bridle. Haven't quite found the perfect combo of bits yet.
I KNOW we are capable, but in horse training sometimes the wheels fall off the bus and you have to go back a step or two. We are in one of those phases right now. And that's ok, we will push through.
This crap we are going through is EXACTLY why people send their horses off to trainers, or just sell them. I could do that, but what would I learn? Nothing. Hampton is always teaching me, if I listen.
So I will.
In other news:
Jen and Conner, and Kelly and Fergie are also showing this weekend! Can't wait to watch them!
Royale, who has been hanging out with Liz all winter, is making his Training Level debut! Very excited to hop back on my favorite saddlebred. Hopefully the weather holds for us. Indiana has been a flood plain lately.
Will hopefully return with plenty of horse show media. :)
Great plan! Smart to drop down. My second test last weekend showed me in not ready to major corrections AND ride 4-1 yet. I totally get it. 4-3 is a much crazier beast. Get your confidence back, do PSG, keep smiling. ;)
ReplyDeleteYup yup. Love this plan. ;-) Plus your snaffle bridle, amiright?
ReplyDeleteKick some ass at whatever levels you want girlfriend. Good for you for doing what Hampton needs even if it's a step back from your original goals. I can't get wait to see your horse show media!
ReplyDeletePeople underestimate confidence as a necessary part of the equation sometimes, IMHO. Going back to establish that in both yourself and your horse makes you a smart, compassionate horsewoman -- and there's absolutely NO shame in that!
ReplyDeletei like your attitude. it's all kinda fine and dandy when the horse is sorta clueless and doesn't realize it's messing up - like that puppy dog innocence of green horses "LOOK MA I DID A THING, I IS A GOOD BOY, RIGHT??"..... but once they know the difference? yea knocked confidence in a horse is a tricky beast. your plan sounds really solid tho and hopefully with the multi pronged approach we will see our favorite Hamps back on top asap!
ReplyDeleteYou are incredibly wise and I'm certain are making the best decision for both of you.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion you have an amazing perspective :)
ReplyDeleteI skipped 4-3 both times heading to PSG and had students skip it too, no regrets, go wear that fancy coat and enjoy a test not written by people who hate dressage lol. GOOD LUCK!! On both boys. Sounds like you've got an awesome plan and fingers crossed Hampton feels 100% soon.
ReplyDeleteIt's SO TRUE about the wheels falling off. Sometimes you think you're in a good place and then you watch the tires bounce past you as you're going down the road. Ah the joys of dressage. I'm glad you're regrouping and taking a step back - you'll definitely be in a better place soon!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a super solid plan!
ReplyDeleteGood for you! It sounds like a great plan to me! This is why I enjoy reading your blog, because I appreciate and admire your attitude and choices to do what is best for your horse. :-)
ReplyDelete