Friday, March 31, 2017

The Making of a Freestyle Part 4: Puzzle pieces



Back to the freestyle clinic, the second day was spent putting together the choreography. The clinician had basically already mapped out most of it for me, and had several comments about how she wanted to "make sure I could do these movements." *eyeroll*

We started with the trot work first, and kept is pretty simple with turn up the quarter line, shoulder-in 12m and then half pass to the rail. Repeat other direction.

Eeeks. I need to work on keeping those ears up!


She did have good advice to keep the walk tour really simple. If you try to make it to complicated, it starts to look like you are wandering around. Ours is a basic half 20m circle of extended walk. Check.

Toward the end we worked on the canter tour (this is when we nailed the 4 tempis), and there is some wiggle room there for me to change things as we get more solid in the more advanced 4th level work. There are two lines of tempis in case I mess one up, too. The piros are by B/E so that we can "hide" them a little since they are certainly a weak spot at the moment.

Road trippin' Hampton!


She played some music in parts and I got a good sense of how it would all come together.

Bummer I won't be using it.

For 4th level it cost $900.

Trust me it took all my willpower not to bust out laughing.

I absolutely think she should be paid for the work she does. But $900?! Sorry lady I have a mortgage to pay. And I'd like to eat, too.

After our ride


She has a sweet gig. I was able to ask the right questions (journalist, you know. I am nosey) and now know the software she uses, and how to enhance the music. She has it down to a science. Maybe I should start up my own business, if people are willing to pay that much for a few hours work. It takes me 2 weeks to earn that much!

So anyway, overall I was happy with what I got out of the clinic. I'll be keeping the choreography, but obviously doing my own music. Which is fine, because now I can use what I want anyway.

#DQandMusicSnob

9 comments:

  1. "I'll be keeping the choreography, but obviously doing my own music. Which is fine, because now I can use what I want anyway."

    Good - because I really don't like the sound of this clinician re her comments about Hampton. She sounds like a snob. (and another word - rhymes with witch) Can't understand how insulting someone's horse would help build a business... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about you learn to do all that and then hook all of us onliners with some sick freestyles?! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait so you had to pay to go to a clinic where you got the opportunity to pay for more?

    That is brilliant. I vote yes to buy the software and do it yourself, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uhhhhh wat?!? this whole thing leaves me with a lot of questions. i mean, the concept is awesome, but this lady sounds nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sounds like a.... unique.... experience 😶

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man yah, they do freestyle clinics around here where it's like two thousand dollars and you walk away with a fully edited and ready to go freestyle. No thanks. It's been one of the reasons why I haven't done freestyles in the past, I'm not very good with audio software but not willing to pay that much. Unfortunate because I really want to do one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. $900??? Gah.

    Glad you learned about how you can potentially do it yourself bc holy sh*t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly having played with some music editing software for a DIY freestyle, I totally get the cost. It's extremely tedious to get the transitions just right, and that's very time-consuming. Plus if you want to add in transitions from one piece to the next that aren't jarring, that requires some mixing skills. It definitely seems like something that could be done though... curious how much time it ends up taking you. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished freestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well now I know what profession I need to get into!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!