I've tried to be honest on this blog - about the struggles and success of my partnership with Hampton. So I am going to be blunt today. I know this issue greatly affects his resale value, and brings with it a whole host of problems. But there's no sense in hiding it.
Hampton is now a cribber.
Oh trust me, it makes me sick to talk about. I get a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I watch him do it.
I feel like I have failed him.
Why now? Why has his started cribbing?
It started a few weeks before we moved barns. I noticed him cribbing at breakfast. I was hoping that switching barns and a new, better diet would possibly nip it in the butt. Nope.
He has always lived outside 24/7 in his time with me. He did spend time in a stall during his weaning days, and a little bit as a 2 year old before I found him.
From what I have read, cribbing could be genetic. And Hampton's mother was a cribber, an OTTB. Thoroughbreds have a high rate of cribbing. Is this genetic? Was it a result of how he was weaned? Was it a result of poor diet somewhere along the way?
![]() |
| With Royale at the water. |
And before anyone pipes up, yes I have treated him for ulcers. And I have another ulcer treatment in mind as well (he is going back on the blue pop rocks). He does not show any other of his usual ulcer signs (girthy, teeth grinding, etc.). But yes of course I will continue to treat him.
No, I don't believe horses learn to crib from other horses. Horses do not learn from observation. Is that was true, I will just show Hampton video of Valegro and see you all in the Grand Prix ring next year! And in any case, he has not lived with any cribbers (except his mother ....).
My only theory is 1) genetics and it has taken this long to develop because he has lived a healthy lifestyle and 2) his diet has lacked something at times, and he started chewing on the fence ... and then just eventually figured it out. I HAVE seen him chew on fences in the past (like actually take chunks off and eat it), but never actually suck in air and crib until now.
Am I stressing him out? Is he anxious about something? Does he hate his life?! UGH!! I feel like an utter failure as a horse owner. WTF!! He has always had pretty much 24/7 turnout, free choice grass and/or hay and has never been overloaded on grain.
So anyway. As you can tell, I am pissed about it and it is a sore subject. Pissed at myself, not him. It's not his fault and he isn't doing it to piss me off. I have my own OCD and anxiety disorder habits, so I do get it.
![]() |
| How can you hate this face? |
I broke down and bought him a Miracle Collar. I have to say, it does appear to stop him from cribbing. I feel AWFUL putting it on and cranking it tight.
Also, he does not crib in the stall. Only on the fence outside. I would label him a mild cribber, and I hope he stays that way and does not turn into one of those obnoxious cribbers who tear up everything in sight. I worked with a stallion once who tried to crib on my shoulder. Jesus Christ, no.
Sigh.
I have more positive updates for next time, I promise!
Over and out.



Don't beat yourself up over it, cribbing is like heroin. Once they start they are totally addicted!
ReplyDeleteMy warmblood wants to be a cribber so bad. He already nibbles on the fence and could easily cross over into cribberland. Try not to be so hard on yourself! I agree with L, it's like heroin! Definitely a frustrating habit but at least he's sound and happy otherwise. :)
ReplyDeleteMy best advice: Stop trying to fix it. Seriously, just settle down and let him do it. So, he cribs.... is this affecting his performance? No. It's also not going to make him colic or lose weight, in spite of what some people will tell you. I know plenty of very happy horses who do it, they're all alive and doing very well. It's just a thing that he does. People are allowed to smoke and drink and have tics, yet still be functioning members of society, let him have this.
ReplyDeleteAnnie cribbed when I bought her and I hate it but she hasn't taught anyone else to crib since I've had her. She is pretty obnoxious and has to be choked or she destroys stuff. I feel your pain. As L said once they figure it out they are like drug addicts normally.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. Don't beat yourself up you are an amazing momma to him and always have been. Damn horses can't help but stress us out.
ReplyDeleteDon't beat yourself up. Horses live to confuse and frustrate us, but you've done it all right with turnout and feed etc. This isn't on you. Have some cake.
ReplyDeleteI have to say I freaked out a little the other day when I watched Val suddenly take an interest in chewing on a fence plank.
ReplyDeleteCribbing is a mysterious condition and opinions about are all over the map, nothing definitive. Don't blame yourself - you obviously take amazing care of Hampton and he looks like a happy, relaxed horse. There are worse things than wearing a cribbing collar.
I'm so sorry. Don't be so hard on yourself. I doubt it was anything you did wrong. You take great care of him!! I'm glad the collar is working.
ReplyDeleteBummer, but like everyone else has said, don't blame yourself! I used to own an incredibly bad cribber that did it 24/7 no matter what you did, he was always outside in a big field with a herd of other horses, had a great diet, etc, etc. It's annoying, but he was happy and healthy into old age!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteI just want to echo everyone else and say don't be hard on yourself about it. You're one of the most observant, conscientious horse owners I know. It's horses, these things just happen.
Gah.
ReplyDeleteNo judgement from me - hope it gets resolved soon, though.
I have so much to say about this! I want to talk to you about it in person! Email me if you want -- ngsharpe@ucdavis.edu
ReplyDeleteI've studied stereotypic behavior (of which cribbing is one type) for years, and you should absolutely not feel bad about Hampton developing it. Even social changes can bring on odd changes in behavior that we would never expect.
Hamps could be missing something in his diet/life or just have discovered an interesting new pass-time that will go away with the seasons.
Some horses crib more when their owners are present because they anticipate that something is going to happen and it helps them deal with the excitement and anticipation. It may not be as bad when Hampton isn't expecting something good to happen.
There's even really sketchy (unrepliacted) evidence that there's a neurological effect of cribbing. Or it could be like biting your fingernails is for some people -- you just start it and don't stop, even later in life.
There's so little we know about animal behavior, when we really think about it.
I have accumulated quite the mess of papers on stereotypic and anticipatory behaviors in horses, so if you want some just let me know. They are interesting and contradictory and sometimes useless.
I just realised while writing this that I have no idea what your profession is, and you could very well have access to all of these already!
But for real, do not feel bad, and do not feel bad about trying to get him to stop damaging his teeth by doing so. You may or may not ever be able to get Hamptom to stop cribbing entirely, but you can certainly prevent him from destroying fences and his teeth!
Best of luck and seriously -- get in touch if you want.
I wouldn't worry about the cribbing! I think if there was a definite answer of why they suddenly start, whoever found it would be rich. I've heard that the sooner you get them in a collar, the less severe the cribbing will be. And it is absolute horse sh*t that they learn it from other horses. I can't believe that rumor is still out there! If that was true, you'd have to stable cribbers in their own barn otherwise all the other horses in the barn would catch it! I also wouldn't worry about it hurting his resale value- he's almost an FEI horse. If cribbing (that is easily controlled by a collar!) is a deal breaker for someone wanting to buy a horse at that level, then he's better off without them!
ReplyDeleteTrainer did have one that was a terrible cribber- she had to turn him out with his collar on otherwise he'd suck a fence post day and night... he did lose weight because he spent 75% of his outside time sucking a post, not eating grass, (his owner didn't want him turned out with the collar on, then was like, why is he losing weight?!). You're very hands on with care, Hampton will be fine!
Shoot...Cheers was a terrible cribber so I know the stress of owning one. He was so much better in KY when he was able to live out 24/7 in a large pasture - no grain - just a couple of turnout buddies.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing all the right things so I don't have advice. I know you are so conscientious and will do everything you can to keep him healthy.