Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Our own room

The boys!
(I'm not sure they could be any more different ....)

Time for some updates blog land!

Hampton

-- At the risk of jinxing myself AGAIN, Hamps is currently sound and feeling fantastic. I never did find a spot where the painful abscess blew out. So, maybe it reabsorbed? In any case, I am not asking questions. Just moving on.

-- I started him on Pentsosan. (May do a separate post on this later ...)

-- We have been working on the basics this week. Just transitions, forward-back, ground poles,  stretching and suppleness. I threw in some leg yields today, and he stayed sound within those. I think later this week I may ask him for a session of "real work" and see where we are. I am sure he has lost some fitness, but I am totally ok with that. We can get that back.

Royale, Hampton and Spot.


-- Unfortunately the arena has a crap ton of large gravel rocks that are surfacing. I am not sure it is fair to continue to ask Hampton to school the level that he does on this footing. It also has random sink holes, and the kids are doing donuts in the ring with the ATV. It needs totally re-done. And that likely won't be happening. This has been on my mind. Am I being a total footing snob? 

-- We are still aiming for a clinic at the end of August.

-- Not sure about future shows. Have some options on Sept, Oct and even Nov. I'd like to try 4-2 at some point, and maybe even go buck wild and try 4-3 just because I hate myself at times. ha.

Royale

-- Working on taking a steady contact. He likes to curl some, and bop around the contact at times. This usually happens when he falls behind the leg.

-- Turn on the forehand. He picked this up rather quickly!

-- Leg yields. Will start more of these now that TOF has been established.

Royale's first hack in KY!


-- Lots of serpentines, changes of bend.

-- Canter departs. Working on becoming more prompt and less "OMG LEGS EVERYWHERE". Sometimes he picks up the wrong lead, but I'm not worried about it at the moment.

-- Lunging in side reins (once a week). Will help him learn to balance himself at the canter. 

-- Stand quietly in crossties/washrack. CHECK!

-- Accepting baths/showers. He had made big progress here. He used to FREAK the fuck out, but now I can get him to stand in the washrack for a shower. Of course I can't turn the nozzle on full blast yet, but he will accept it now. (with the help of a chain over his nose).

Why you tie me in here?


-- Next up: FLY SPRAY

-- Hills, trail rides, general exposure.

... It's actually sort of nice not to have anything exciting/frustrating to report. We are just plugging along in our little routine. I think some changes are on the horizon, but isn't that always the case?

11 comments:

  1. Is nice when things are going smoothly. We just take it as it comes. .:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely NOT being a footing snob. Kids are doing donuts on ATVs in the arena???? That's what the woods are for, not arenas. I'd be super freaking pissed, especially with rocks coming up through the base. It's one thing I like about my BO- every now and then her kids want to draw/dig in the arena sand and she promptly freaks out on them because she doesn't want them to accidentally dig into the base of either ring and damage it.

    Glad Hampton and Royale are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you are not a footing snob. Rocks in the arena are not OK.

    Royale has the most adorbs teeny pointy earz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rocks and gravel are no big deal to me, but kids doing donuts would make me stabby. Royale and Jack are in about the same place training-wise, except the baths and fly spray. Jack loves baths and you can spray anything on him (one thing OTTBs are great at!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No news is generally good news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you are being picky about footing - one place we boarded, they let the horses run in and out of the arena when turning out, bringing in. So horses were always rolling in the arena and creating hills...big dislike.

    Royale is such a handsome guy - love seeing your progress with him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol for some reason I think training accepting showers can be the hardest part of baby horse life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha they cut a striking image poses next to each other! Also I hear ya on the arena frustrations. I basically don't ride at my mare's barn any more for similar reasons and it really kinda sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ATVs? Why would barn owners risk losing clients over that? Time to start shopping around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the baby is becoming less of a baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!