My main focus with him for right now is fitness and strength. We do have a clinic planned for the end of August, but I'm not sure we will hit any more rated shows this year. A schooling show or two, for sure. We achieved so much this year already, I think I'd rather focus on training for the time being.
BUT!!! That does not mean little Royale will be sitting out shows! He is headed to HHP on Sunday for a couple of Intro tests, and after the show he will be coming to KY! I am very excited to have him!
![]() |
| He is just so damn cute. |
Liz (his other mum) has done a fantastic job of handling him this year. But, he is still a baby and there is a lot of work to be done. For example:
* freaks out about fly spray
* freaks out about baths/hoses
* freaks out for no apparent reason
* not the best at tying ....
* needs to learn to stand still on the ground (he will sometimes just start walking off ... )
It's just general baby horse stuff. He is 100% better about bridling, thanks to Liz's excellent work. So at least we knocked that one off the list!
On Tuesday I rode him around the HHP for fun and he did really well! Liz has him going so well, he is A LOT better about keeping a consistent rhythm these days. He is still weak, but that will come as he grows and gets stronger.
![]() |
| Women pay hundreds of dollars to have highlights like Royale. |
He is a little spooky about changing footing (we got stuck at a crack in the pavement ... sigh) and he took some encouragement to walk through a water puddle, but again ... normal baby horse stuff. Plus, saddlebred.
Once he settles in at his KY home, I am going to work him 3 days a week (because he is just 3!), with one of those days being hill work. I may try to pony him off Hampton if Hamps will behave himself. Liz has reported that Royale may be getting too big for his britches in her herd at home. Hampton will fix that as well. And if not (which I doubt, as Hampton runs a very civil herd and will not tolerate idiotic behavior), he can go out with the mares.
Very excited about the show - several bloggers going include Jen/Connor and Kelly/Fergie too! Plus Liz, who is also bringing 2 horses. We are going to be so busy, but I love it!
Photos to come!


He's looking good!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing you this weekend and meeting Royale! Hoping we all survive the heat...
ReplyDeleteNew follower, I have two yearlings now I am trying to get used to stuff like flyspray and it feels like such a struggle
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, Ramone still freaks out about being sprayed (as in I highly doubt his new owners have fixed him yet on that!)
ReplyDeleteThe Skeedaddlebred is looking great! :)
ReplyDeleteOoh I can't wait to read all about how he is doing!!!
ReplyDelete