Hampton's regular farrier (for about 2 years now) got seriously injured over the winter. Like, almost died. So obviously he won't be working for a while. So that left us with picking a replacement farrier for the time being. I picked someone who I thought was reputable.
| Barn buddy holding drunk Hampton (yay for Dorm gel!) |
Well, Hampton ended up pulling his two front shoes off about 3 times in a 5-week span. The first time, no biggie. But eventually he tore up his front feet something fierce. He was sore, obviously. And I didn't ride him for nearly 2 weeks. It became clear that I needed a different farrier. Especially after this farrier 1) damn near ruined my horse's feet and 2) started sending RUDE texts to my barn owner. Like, this guy is actually a BIG ASSHOLE. A dick cheese, if you will.
#byefelicia
Finally, I got one of the best farriers in the state to come out and shoe him. It kills my checkbook but no hoof, no horse.
I lunged Hampton today and .... he was off/on lame on that right front at the trot. Sound at the walk and canter.
He DID blow an abscess out of that hoof a few days ago so ... is there another one in there? Is this residual inflammation? Still a bit foot sore?
Or something more serious?
There is no heat, swelling, pulse. He does not react to me palpating his suspensory or flexor tendons. So I don't know.
Our arena is in terrible shape. It has large chunks of gravel coming up and it just a mess. I am wondering if that is part of the problem ....
Overall he is moving WAAAAY better than he has all year really, just with the intermittent head bob on the lunge line. And Hampton is pretty stoic, so if he is gimping then something is hurting him for sure.
| one more drunk photo |
I packed him with magic cushion, and gave him some aspirin. He is also staying in during the day now to give him a break from the heat, and let him stand in a soft stall. Will see how he is tomorrow. I may try to hack him lightly in the grass and see if that makes a difference. IF he is sound on grass, then I can be pretty certain he is still foot sore. And go from there.
I feel terrible. I should have never used that farrier (he was cheap, and a friend of a friend).
Don't beat yourself up too much... You wouldn't have done it if you knew it would be a bad idea. My horse went through a bout of lameness recently, no heat or swelling or any other indication of what was causing it. We eventually realized that when the farrier had done her last (the day before said lameness) he had set a nail too high. He immediately pulled it out and reset it, but she was still sore at the nail hole and that's what caused 6 days of gimping around. Maybe he's sore where the abcess blew through?
ReplyDeleteUgh. I just changed farriers for reasons outside my control and I dread something like this happening.
ReplyDeleteI am going through the same thing right now, sans crappy farrier. Pulled shoe, mangled RF hoof, heel grab. Unshod/no work for two weeks waiting for reset. Now my mare is reset, but still off on the RF at the trot. I am hoping all the hope that it's just residual pain from the heel grab and general shortness on the RF because of her grazing hoof. Trying to to work her through it, but also beating myself up for not calling the vet. I'll be curious to follow your progress--you're not alone!
ReplyDeleteHindsight is always perfect, you changed as soon as you found out so you did the best you could. I'm sure he'll be find and it's just a little residual soreness, bruising can take a long time to go away.
ReplyDeleteFinding reputable farriers is so hard! Someone hot-nailed my Porsche last year and we are still growing out the crack (and yes, she needs to be drunk now for visits)
ReplyDeleteMan, finding good hoof care is HARD. Hopefully it's residual soreness and your new farrier will be awesome.
ReplyDeleteIt happens, unfortunately even when you think you are using a very reputable farrier - happened to us in KY. Farrier was given x-rays of Riva's feet and told specifically to shoe her the same way as she had been in IN. Well, wouldn't you know, he thought he knew better - changed her shoeing without me knowing - Lex rode her that day in a lesson...Riva ended up off work for 6 weeks and I was several thousand dollars poorer.
ReplyDeleteHope all is improved with Hampton next ride!
If he's sore from poor footing have your new farrier use leather pads with packing. It helps prevent abscesses and bruises from the ground. The leather pads are reusable, breath, conform to the hoof, and are affordable.
ReplyDeletePoor Hampton! I hope he feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteFarriers are such a scary thing to have to shop for. The only real way to tell if somebody is good or not (other than trying to sleuth the internet for reviews) is to have them come do your horse. And then if they screw up you are stuck with the results and your horse is the one that suffers. :(
ReplyDeleteUgh what a frustration. It's not your fault at all tho and will hopefully resolve soon !!
ReplyDelete