Sunday, July 10, 2016

7 years

Seven years ago Hampton became mine.

He was a little feral, but we bonded quickly.

I should have not purchased another horse. I had just sold my Morgan and was trying to get in a better place financially. The company I work for was laying people off left and right, and the rest of us were furloughed every quarter. It was a very difficult time. There were times I went to pawn anything I could just to have money to eat. Not exaggerating.

So I did what any sane person would do. Bought a horse.

First time I met him


I am so happy I took that risk and ignored every rational, sane bone in my body.

A lot has happened in 7 years. And Hampton has been my rock, my constant. When I purchased him I thought I would start him under saddle and sell him. I didn't really think he would turn into the best horse I have ever owned. He is not the most talented, certainly not the fanciest. For sure not the most expensive. But he and I have a rare thing, I think. A trust in one another, and a willingness to learn from one another.

Wearing a saddle for the first time, and walking over flower boxes.

He is my mirror. An extraordinary horse who is emotional, but stoic. Will try for you, but shuts down if he thinks he is in trouble. He will not tolerate being bullied, but would walk through fire for me if I just gave him a moment to trust me. He is a thinker, a character with a dash of naughtyness thrown in there just because. A very quick study, almost to a fault. Loves to snort at things. He never did grow out of the "2 year old colt, I have to put everything in my mouth stage," but otherwise matured into a rather handsome adult.



He will cart around the BO's 12 year old daughter like an old school master, and the next day give me everything he's got as we work toward the FEI. Then he will plod along on a trail ride like an old cow horse the next day.

Horses like Hampton do not come along very often. I've been in the horse industry long enough to know that.

He may not be perfect. But he is a kindred spirit. He is my horse.


12 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary. You two have accomplished A LOT in 7 years. An inspiration for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many fun times with a great horse and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a vet special partnership. Congrats on 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horses like that are irreplaceable. So glad you took a chance on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's such a great horse. You guys are an awesome team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary, I'm surprised that it's only been 7 years! You have really accomplished a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. You two have done amazing things together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 7 years! I love ya'll together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Know exactly what you mean. Satchel is my Hampton. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! Here is to many more happy years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!