![]() |
| Coats were waived. Praise Jesus. |
We arrived Friday afternoon at the HHP, and I decided to not ride Hampton at all. It was hot, he was sweaty and he thinks the Hoosier Horse Park is his second home. For pete's sake he has been showing there since he was 4 years old. I did hand walk him some, but tried to conserve energy for what I knew would be a sweltering weekend.
Saturday morning I was the warm-up ring steward - which was actually a really good time. I got to sit in the shade with my gatorade, and listen to area trainers warm up their students. I got quite the education standing there. And I only had to yell at one person for not going to the ring in time (after I already gave her a heads up once.)
My 4-1 ride was at 2:30 and I walked for about 10 minutes, and then tried to "Warm up" for another 10. We were both melting. I had zero horse to work with, and I was not helping matters. We both had a big case of "don't give a f---s." Hampton was downhill, leaning on my hands, and behind my leg. This is usually a recipe for bucking/naughtyness but he was so hot and tired he didn't even bother.
Did you know that 4th level is 10x more difficult with zero impulsion?
I managed to nurse him around the test, but it wasn't pretty. We made a lot of mistakes, including trashy changes. Hamps kept tripping, and falling out behind. He felt a little foot sore again at times. I walked out pretty disappointed. But later decided to blame it totally on the heat. We scraped up a 58%.
![]() |
| He should be a Dover model. |
Sunday our ride was at 2:20 again. I had a different game plan. If I had to work in this heat, so did he. So I jazzed him up. Piaffe, walk, turn on the haunches. Piaffe, SMACK with whip, turn on the haunches. Rinse repeat for the majority of the warmup. I tossed in a couple of changes each way and went in.
This test went MUCH MUCH better. He was still downhill, but at least somewhat better. The only mistake we made was we totally bombed the left canter half pass. He pulled that 'stuck' maneuver he ONLY does in the ring. And I wasn't having it. I turned it into a leg yield and nailed him for it. The movement was already blown, so in the moment I decided to go ahead and make an ugly correction.
We got a nice slew of 7s, and even an 8 on the extended canter! woot! Some good comments, too. Even with the big bobble, we earned a 61.7%! That's my other 4th level score toward my silver.
Hamps was hot and exhausted after, so I knew he really did give me all he had. What a good boy!
Overall a great show, and a major learning experience for how I have to ride him. We still have a lot of work to do before we can do PSG, but this year even our "bad" tests are better than last year's "good" tests.
Perspective people, perspective!
... and for now we will be doing all the trail riding and relaxing. Maybe amp back up in another week or two. We have accomplished so much and it is only June!
![]() |
| Also, new fly bonnet with BLING! |





Fabulous! Well done.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the silver score. You guys look great.
ReplyDeletePerspective really is key!!!
ReplyDeleteI love your approach to day 2's warm up! Congrats on that score too!!!
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at you two every day.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Karen! Heat and humidity were killer this weekend. And now I need a couple of fly bonnets...
ReplyDeleteSchweet! 90 degree heat is NO FUN, and I'm glad you survived to get your score. Congrads!
ReplyDeleteAww I am SO EXCITED for you. :-) :D
ReplyDeleteNice job! You guys are so awesome :)
ReplyDeleteWoohoo!!! Yay for you guys. I'm so amazed and impressed and feel like you're such a role model :) Congratulations on the score!!
ReplyDelete