We're taking a mild hiatus from intense dressage for a couple of weeks. This is for a couple of reasons.
1) I have already accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish this year as far as competitive dressage. We aren't aiming for regionals because they are too far away, so instead I was after my 4th level scores for my silver. Done and done.
2) It's f-ing hot
3) It's good for our souls and minds. Hampton has been having days of his weird spookiness again. It hasn't been this bad since last spring, so I am going to treat him for ulcers and back off the work a little bit. He only does it in the ring at home. And it isn't a "hot spook" it is a "totally fall behind ALL YOUR AIDS and spook" He does not do this out in the fields, on the roads, or at shows. He is getting his teeth done and a massage in the next week, too. Last year taught me not to push it - that is is trying to communicate something to me, as he just isn't this spooky by nature.
![]() |
| Beeetch, please. This DQ can still equitate over fences. Sort of. |
4) It's fun.
5) Money is tight (no shows for a while) ... due to a significant event about to happen in my life. (it's a good thing, and NO I am not preggers or anything horrific like that)
So enjoy these videos of the Porkchop and I SLAUGHTERING a grid, and making a little oxer look easy. Hampton was immediately forward, perky and the spooking vanishes when we do things like this. I think we both might have been mildly burnt out from a rather intense spring of showing.
And of course we are hitting the trails a lot, too!
We are still dressaging in the ring 2-3 times a week, with really only 1 "intense day" ... the others are stretching and suppling.
I'm not sure when our next show is. I only had things planned out until June. It's kinda nice - for the moment - to just be able to focus on the training. And not prepping for a particular show. There are a couple of clinics I am eyeing here in the future, but for now .... we relax.
![]() |
| Buckley has the right idea. |



Ha he looks adorable through the grid - so gung ho! enjoy the break from the super intense stuff!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a perfect plan! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
ReplyDeleteI am excited to hear what your new life thing is (especially because its not a baby I hate babies) and man I agree with you. It's gotten really hot here and I'm sitting here in AC thinking 'Damn I'm glad I don't have to go ride in this'
ReplyDeleteBleah, summer heat. Pretty awesome you got all your scores already though!
ReplyDeleteAlso, love the new blog banner. I think I am just now noticing it
Nothing wrong with taking a break - you certainly don't want to get burnt out doing the same ol tricks! You and Hampton look killer out there!
ReplyDeleteIs your significant life event that you are moving to DC to hang out with me at shows because you miss me sooooo much? ;)
ReplyDeleteYour relaxation time sounds a lot like the time Pig and I took after our last show. We're starting to ramp up the intense day again, which is feeling really good mentally (maybe not so great physically...). Hope you guys come out of the other side ready to DESTROY some PSG work. :)
Now you just need to hit the XC course and you'll be ready to event!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the slower side. It's, uh, cheaper here.
ReplyDelete