Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year!

Spent New Years Day with the same guy I have spent it with since 2010. :)

Another New Year's Day ride with this swamp monster.


I've decided not to set official goals this year. I just want to roll with the punches a bit, and not be afraid to change the "plan." Competition scores are not everything - at least not for a very ordinary amateur rider like myself. I felt like my goals for 2015 were way too competition focused and I think that caused me to put too much pressure on myself and Hampton.

Plenty of shows on the radar, as well as clinics, lessons, jumping and much more. I still plan to be dedicated to the sport of dressage and our pursuit of PSG. Just going to try to not be so rabid about it. But perhaps that's part of being a dressage rider. We are just that way.

I have a wonderful horse. I need to not be so stressed about whether or not his half pass has enough bend all the damn time. Or how he lacks enough expression. Or blah blah blah.

This year my focus is happiness, fitness (both of us), and trying to be more in the moment.

Cheers.


8 comments:

  1. I was just talking to a friend about this...it's definitely a part of being a dressage rider but we do have to find the line of pushing for better but not pushing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Love this philosophy! A bunch of us gals are doing a rider fitness group on Facebook for 2016, come join us! Search #goalbreeches and the group should come right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *waves hand around* I am going to be rabid about shows and scores this year. I think the riders who actively compete are type A, gotta do it types, so pressure is just part of the game. I think I'll want to die at the end of the year and Penn will end up with weeks off at the start of winter, but I also won't be afraid to reevaluate mid-year if things aren't working. I felt the pressure when I was working at 3rd with Mikey (he was aging so time was a huge factor and we were working hard to keep him sound for 3rd), however, I don't think I'll feel the pressure as much working Penn at 1st. There simply isn't as much ground to cover and he's got more talent than Mikey did. I totally hear you though- if Mikey was still around, we'd be having a quiet year repeating 3rd again. Nothing wrong with slowing it down and having fun. After Mikey had surgery last Feb, I was just hoping he'd come back to 3rd and I would just have to roll with what he could do. I ended up having a ton of fun with him while he was legging back up. It was just as rewarding as horse showing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to focus on all of the above so I love it. Happy 2016! Can't wait to read about all of the great stuff you and hampers get into!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!!! Mine are very similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent goals/focus. Happy New Year (I'm glad you're sticking it out with Hampton)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! :) Sounds like a good plan for 2016

    ReplyDelete
  8. cheers and a very happy new year! i'm also holding off on setting goals for a little while too - we'll get there later ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!