Friday, November 20, 2015

Cheer up, buttercup

Just please admire handsome Hampton, pay no attention to the fact that his
mane is full of mud clumps.

Working with and living with Susie on a large-scale breeding farm certainly taught me ALLLL about the cycle of life. 
I was there from the very beginnings of conception, to the very end. We helped many foals enter this world (Hampton included), and helped many horses leave. Some were tragic & some - it was just their time. That's the realities of living on a farm. Actually, that's just life.

So while I am obviously heartbroken over the huge loss of Susie's death, I went out to the farm today and did exactly what she has always told me to do. "Do what makes you happy." (and also, "Don't do stupid shit.")

Lady I am hungry. Stop with the photos.

I rode my horse. Amazingly, it warmed up to a lovely, sunny 52 degrees and we had a nice school. Ran into some problems in the right canter half pass, but I worked through some of it and ended on a good note. Hampton was wonderfully soft and supple, so I'll consider that a win. He has adjusted wonderfully to the barefoot life, altho I am in the market for some Easyboots for when the arena footing gets even more crappy. (Recommendations welcome!)

You go right ahead and roll with your new blanket on, Hampton.
10-year guarantee ya little shit. Have at it.


There's this thing about life that happens when someone dies, and when you die.

It goes on. 

It's ok to feel sad. And I'll certainly keep her memory alive. But I'm also doing what she has always shown me to do in situations like these. Carry on, keep going. Laugh. Make inappropriate jokes. Love your horse. 

Keep on livin. L-I-V-I-N.

Susie and Trija's Mr. Peppertime.
Peppertime is the sire of my old Morgan, T-Bone.
Picture at Triple Creek Farm ... I'm guessing 2000?
For those who are familiar with Come Again Farm, Susie ran her business
out of that property before Lee Ann took it over. 

5 comments:

  1. Way to keep your chin up! Love the life lesson of sharing inappropriate jokes, too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Her advice is spot-on, especially the inappropriate jokes part. As long as her legacy lives on, she'll never truly die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. But I agree with what she said and what you wrote. It goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful sentiments all around - and I happen to agree that the best way to honor a loved one lost is to continue living just as they would want

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that was a wonderful way to honor your friend :) Hampton looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!