Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Show roundup: The Good

4 off the floor!

Welp, another rated show under our belts. We showed Third-3 and .... musical freestyle! both days. I kept the freestyle a secret because I wasn't sure it was all going to come together with the trouble we have had this summer, and then my cat having health issues and then his death. 

But we made it happen. The freestyle needs A LOT of tweaking and work. In fact I will probably redo the entire thing. But that's ok, it was great to get my feet wet at something like that and I certainly learned a lot.


Saturday's 3-3 test was a little rough. As Hampton has become more seasoned, his warmup needs have changed. I used to have to warm him up for 40 minutes to ride some of the edge off. He was VERY calm all weekend, even a bit lazy. So warming him up for 30 minutes only made him tired and crabby. By the time I entered the ring, he was diving on the forehand and pretty much all out movements suffered. We squeaked out a 58%. Not a great score, but he was so downhill that I feel it was deserved.


Our 3-3 test on Sunday was MUCH improved. I warmed him up for 10 minutes and did nothing but piaffe and turns on the haunches. He went in the ring with much more energy. Our changes were clean and the test was much smoother. Unfortunately, during the walk tour we were dive bombed by a damn horse fly. I have a great sequence of photos of me trying to swat at the fly and do a walk pirouette at the same time. Needless to say, our walk work was dinged by this interference. But the test was still good and we upped our score to a 61% and some change. I'll take it!


Our Sunday Freestyle was again a little rough. Hampton was tired and so was I. It lacked balance and there were a couple of unauthorized flying changes since he was behind my aids and lacking a real connection. Our mediums and extended trot were non-existent, too. Hamps was just out of quarters. I think in the future he can do 2 tests the first day, and only 1 test the second day. He is decently fit but at this level I think 2 tests both days just burn him out.

Even so, we squeaked out a 60% this time and I am happy with that.  I need to change up the music and we need to increase the level of difficulty to up the score. I did keep things simple this time around since I sort of thew it together in a rush and this was my first time ever attempting a freestyle. So much to learn!

I need to keep my elbows bent.

Turn on the haunches

Love the active hind leg here

While our scores haven't really improved this year, it's ok. We faced a lot of setbacks this year as far as finding instruction, Hampton's behavior, rein lameness, ulcers and trust issues.

Can we all just admit dressage is hard? :)

I still believe this horse will be a PSG horse one day. It won't be this year, and maybe not next. But I believe in him. I need to learn to be a better show ring rider. I need to correct his balance quicker in the ring before things spiral downhill (literally). I need to be more accurate and I WITHOUT A DOUBT need to prepare for each movement more. When Hampton gets heavy and dives, I tend to get tired and lose my position. I need to work on that.


Um, SUPER CLEAN flying change!!! WOOHOO~

Pats for a good boy.

Warm up
 So my plan is to get to as many schooling shows as I can. He needs to learn he cannot drop me in the ring. If that means stopping during a test, fine. If it means doing a 10m circle, fine. If it means kicking his ass, fine. He does things in the ring that he never does at home. So, I've got to fix that.

I love the Hoosier Horse Park but you would not believe the amount of bugs here.

We need to maintain THIS balance all the time!

Very minimal rein lameness in left half pass!



Finally, here is our very first musical freestyle! Keep in mind I did this by myself at the last minute. It is not super. I think we appear rushed and unbalanced, and some movements I just sort of fly into without proper preparation.

Also, enjoy Hampton's leaping/flying change and he also kicks out during the extended canter going away from the camera. He was just adding his own flair to our boring freestyle. HAHA. Such a wanker this one.



Next up: Show Roundup: The Bloopers!

12 comments:

  1. Very cool you did a freestyle! I love all the pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some very nice moments in there!

    Sorry to hear about the horsefly, it's been a bad year for those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...
    A: Those photos would be 10x better if they weren't crooked. Level those suckers out! ;)

    B: Hampton looks AWESOME. It's so hard when you get there and realize the warm up you thought you needed was not actually what you needed. I had that problem at the last show. SO FRUSTRATING. I could've kicked myself. Bah. Feeling your pain.

    C: Hampers. Once nice change is good, but not enough. You know better. Goof!

    D: I know freestyles aren't supposed to look like tests. I think yours got better, but the trot work definitely looked sort of test-like. That'll cut down on your originality scores. You're an original person, you can do better! I did like that walk transition on the centerline, brave AND smart!

    E: Hampton! No kicking at the canter! Who are you? Pig?! Omg.

    F: F is for fantastic. This horse is totally going to make PSG. Why? Then he only has to do one test a day. Hahaha! No... in all honesty: I think you guys are going through a hump. He really is getting the hind leg action and collection thing down for third, he just hasn't figured out how to move his wither balance upward. So, his medium trots and things look like he's two different horses. You know? That's not a problem, that's getting better but not being quite there. I'd kill for that hind end in a medium. I'll trade you. You can have Captain My-balance-is-always-up for a little while. Send him back when he can do what Hampton can. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austen you are so right! His conformation and shoulder-dwelling tendencies are very hard to overcome. But I think he can do it. If not he will make one hell of a hunter! Def. need to get those withers up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he was trying to add levade to your test (you guys look awesome and I have no doubt that you will get to PSG)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sit the trot beautifully, and your hands are nice and quiet. Hampton is awesome - you got this. It just takes time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys look great :) glad the rein lameness is getting better, what an ordeal! PSG is definitely in your future, he's a really great horse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats - you two look wonderful!! and major kudos for putting together a free style, i think it turned out well and the next will be even better! nice idea about adding in some more schooling shows too as a way to give yourself opportunities for more corrections in the ring with lower pressure/stakes

    ReplyDelete
  9. After your dire comments on facebook, I thought it would be much worse. Instead I'm all DAMN GIRL and impressed.

    Freestyle? Hero status.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! You're lightyears ahead of me so I have only admiration. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!