Sunday, July 5, 2015

6 years with the Porkchop

Holy crap is has been 6 years since I purchased Hampton!

July 2009

July 2015


In June 2009, I sold my Morgan, T-Bone, and decided to try and be horse-less for a while. (I bet you can all see where this is going). The company I work for was going through MAJOR turmoil at the time. Hundreds of people were getting laid off, and we were all taking week-long furloughs every quarter. I was flat broke (I was actually selling my clothes so I could eat on a day to day basis), swimming in debt and wasn't really sure if I would have a job the next day.

Basically a horse was the last thing I needed.

I got a call from a close friend that she has an unbroke, 2 year old colt she needed to sell. He was cheap. I decided to just "go look." I loved him immediately, but told her I would "sleep on it" that night. She smiled at me. She knew.

I think my thoughts were "Holy shit I have a giant 2-year-old here"


My life has changed a lot in 6 years. I'm still pretty broke, but it's more of a horse-poor type situation now. Like all of us. haha. He has been my rock through some seriously rough times.

It was financially foolish and irresponsible to purchase a horse when I did. But I did it anyway.

But it turns out he was exactly what I needed.

One of our first shows (he was 3). This is such a Hampton face.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You guys are amazing and I'm always interested in where it all starts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on 6 years! and oh my has he grown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, it's just right. <# Glad it worked out for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy horse-iversary! Great duo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!