Last time I posted, Lady was starting to look better. She seemed to be gaining weight, and was bright and cheery. I thought for sure she would really start to plump up with the lush green grass.
Well, she didn't. In fact, she started to get worse.
Despite the fact that I would brush her almost daily, she still would not totally shed out. She kept getting fungus (worse than the normal little rain rot spots that sometimes happen). She started to have a dull look to her face.
I started giving her even more food. I added alfalfa cubes and oil. I gave her extra hay on top of the grass she was out on 24/7. She ate alone so was not getting chased off her food, and she would eat all of her grain.
... and then the shit hit the fan.
The "rescue organization" that was "handling her case" decided to put her in a long-term foster situation. Which is what I thought we were but ... I digress. She left last week. Then the so-called leaders of this rescue basically insulted my BO and myself claiming we "threw her out in a field" and never cared for her. That what she needed was a clean stall with shavings, THEN she could recover. I was personally insulted that someone would say that about the BO or myself, as I cared for that mare as if she was my own. We felt it was best she live out in a field (once winter left) because of her excessive urination. (it was impossible to keep her stall clean). Plus outside she had a large water tank to drink out of. She drank so much we had to refill 2 buckets in her stall 4-5 times A DAY. And of course we felt as much grass as she wanted was a good thing (after her initial re-feeding period of course). I do not think it was neglect to have her out 24/7. She was eating 3 or 4x as much as any other horse on the property.
Anyway, after this "rescue" evaluated her (oh by the way, they never once came out to check on her for MONTHS while she was at our place) ... it has been determined that she likely has terminal problems that will prevent her from recovering. Likely liver failure, kidney failure or some kind of cancer.
More tests are being run, and she will be on steroids for 30 days. If, after that, she shows no improvement she will be euthanized.
I did email one of the leaders to say that I DID care for that horse, she was not neglected. And she was very nice and said it was no one's fault, she should have "checked on her." ... ok, but you are still implying we are not competent to take care of a malnourished horse. ANYWAY.
I won't name any names, but I wasn't happy with the handling of that situation. And I certainly won't be supported that organization ever again. Christ.
Thank you to those who donated money or items for Lady. It was so appreciated, especially since she was eating so much food! :)
I just wish the best for Lady, whatever that is.
![]() |
| One her Lady's babies! |

I am so sorry. Poor Lady. That would completely piss me off that they were so rude.
ReplyDeletesometimes rescues are their own worst enemy. It seems like you did the best you could for her.
ReplyDeleteEveryone's a critic...
ReplyDeleteI feel like I hear more f*cked up stories about rescues than not - unfortunately. Sounds like the mare has serious health issues. At least you and your BO gave her some quality of life after all she's been through.
That's really terrible. You guys were doing so well with her and for you to get blamed for her internal issues, not okay. I'm really sorry. It's sad to say, but you can't save them all no matter how hard we try.
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrible situation - poor Lady! And even worse that the organization pretty much threw you and your BO under the bus. That seems really unfair and undeserved. At least you know you did the best you cosh for the mare!
ReplyDeleteWhat a shitty situation. Sorry to hear you were dealing with that. Sometimes rescue organizations are just... crap.
ReplyDeleteWow. What assholes.
ReplyDeleteSide note about the excessive peeing/not shedding/skinny horse - sounds like some type of liver/kidney failure for sure. :( Had my horse at a barn that rescued a small pony for their 6 year old kid. Pony was foot perfect, kid adored him, but he peed ALL. THE. TIME. and was super skinny/didn't shed. Just thought maybe it was because he was a rescue. Ran blood work within the first month of him arriving and he had severe kidney failure. They to put him down.
At least you guys were able to provide some quality and cushion in her old life, even for a little bit.