Thursday, April 2, 2015

Trail ride

The Porkchop and I are slowly getting back into shape. He is much more fit than his rider, but I will get there haha.

Gorgeous trail system

We took a hack day on Tuesday and explored the large trail system that connects to the farm. I don't usually go out exploring alone, but I let the Boy know I was heading out and if I did not text him in two hours to call me and see if I was ok.

So we headed out.

The trails are in great shape, not too muddy. We only explored a few miles and there were not any challenging parts of the trail. To do the entire loop would probably take half a day. We have much more to explore! We crossed two small creeks and found a big creek with water that went up to Hampton's knees. SO fun. I bet it will be so gorgeous when everything greens up!



We even passed two fields of bloodthirsty, murderous cows without drama.

I don't think I wrote about the last time we tried to pass the cows. It was before winter really hit, and upon seeing said cows Hampton began shaking, snorting and threatening to have a total meltdown. So, I hopped off. When my feet hit the ground, he LEFT. Left me a mile from home, on the side of the road. And ran home. He was unhurt, but I was annoyed to say the least.

None of that crap this time though! Woot.

The barn with the track is way out in the distance

He did get a bit wound up when we found ourselves in an open field that was next to a busy road and another horse farm with a race track. I think he heard the other horses, and was startled by all the traffic. He started jigging and yanking the reins from me. This is the behavior that preceded the explosive black stallion move at the hunter pace last year. So, I did my best to sit heavy, guide him sideways but try not to block the forward. We were yards away from the big creek so I directed him back in there and said "There ya go, NOW you can go forward in this deep water you little shit!" ... and he indeed slowed down and was respectful again. We made it back home without incident.

I think next time we will take another route that doesn't go near the road. He has really turned into a lovely trail horse. He will go anywhere I point him!



He has been lovely in the arena, too. We have been focused on suppleness and getting a reaction. Many rubber band exercises, transitions and lateral work. This spring won't be as busy as last year. But we have some things planned!

P.S. Lady is starting to gain weight!!

4 comments:

  1. Yay Hampy! Those trails look lovely, but the extracurriculars sound like a bit... much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, cows are very bloodthirsty. It's a good thing I've owned horses, otherwise I might not have realized this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like he's doing well!! tho i kinda love the idea of sticking him in the water for some natural 'resistance' haha. glad Lady is gaining weight too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super guy! He just doesn't want you to get bored :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!