Monday, March 2, 2015

Lady's story: Part 1 (Introduction)


So this is Lady.

She is an American Saddlebred mare who found herself in a pretty awful situation.
A few of us pooled some money together and were able to rescue her. So now she at the farm resting and recovering. I'm not sure of the exact details of her story, but I do know this:

- She has been shod, and her feet actually look pretty good. She has amish-type shoes on.
-She has a raw spot on her chest. Probably from a chest collar.

She was clearly an Amish cart horse. And I'm not saying all Amish treat their horses this way, but there is no excuse to ever let a horse get into this condition. 

She is easily the most emaciated horse I have ever seen. Dead or alive. We all see photos of these types of horses on the internet, but seeing a horse in this state was shocking to me in person. 



She has a thick coat of fur, so that makes her look better than she is. 
She is a sweet girl, but sometimes skeptical if you enter her stall too quickly.


Yesterday I offered her a treat (Mrs Pastures cookies) and she snorted at me as I held out my hand.
She sniffed. Snorted. Gave me the bug eye.

Then finally took a bite. Yay! Success!
No horse can resist Mrs Pastures.

The next time I walked by her stall, she nickered at me! 


In spite of her condition, she seems alert, friendly, and bright. So I think she will pull through. She is on the proper feeding protocol for rehabbing horses in this state. She will probably need her teeth done, but that may have to wait because she is in no condition to be sedated if that would be needed.

I took her on a walk this morning and she was foot perfect. So someone halter broke her well. Plus Saddlebreds are generally easy to deal with on the ground if you ignore the snorting.

She looks like my old ASB mare, Queen, which is why I took a liking to her.

I'll keep posting updates on her progress. She sure is sweet and deserves a second chance.

14 comments:

  1. I ♥ saddlebreds!
    She's a lucky Lady landing with you and your friends. Looking forward to her story :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so wonderful that you were able to get her out of that situation! I can't wait to hear more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, kind soul. Cannot wait to see her progression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww she is lovely! Thank you for helping her :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I second T Myers - Thank you for saving her!

    I can't wait to see how she progresses back into health and maybe training?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How upsetting to see this happen to any animal. SB's have a special place in my heart. Bless you and your friends for saving her. Can't wait to hear her story

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad good people got ahold of her. No doubt that winter coat is hiding a lot in the pictures. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad she is safe now. Thank you for rescuing her. ASBs have a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for saving her. She looks very sweet.
    One of our boarders led a horse rescue effort from a terrible situation this winter. The drama, time and financial drain are awful in these situations. So happy there are people like you who step up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to hearing more about her. Good for y'all, to do something to help her. She's got such great facial expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I'm so glad you guys rescued her! I look forward to following her progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!