Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2015 Goals


Oh hey real winter has finally arrived. Thankfully no snow here in northern KY yet. I will take it. There are some people that seem to have forgotten the absolute frozen hell we were sitting in this time last year. I can handle 16 degrees. There is a small (very small) part of me that is sort of happy that the gobs and gobs of mud have frozen over. So anyway ...

Goals for 2015

{{Keep Hampton's happiness and health AND my happiness and health the No. 1 priority}}
... there's that.


{{ Show Third Level, qualify for Regionals }}
In order to reach this goal, we need two scores of 60% or more from 2 different judges (and I believe 2 different USDF shows). We hit this goal last year, so unless something horrible happens I see us reaching this relatively early in the year. *knocks on wood*

{{Score a 65%+ at Third Level}}
This might be a stretch - but we scored a 64%+ at our last rated show in 2014. So I feel like this would be a cool goal to aim for. It would be for everyone who ever wrote Hampton off. A big "F U" if you will.



{{Create and show a Third Level Freestyle}}
I actually set this goal for 2014, but we needed to be more solid at Third before attempting this. In order to show a freestyle, you must have scored about a 60% at the highest test of that level. We have those scores now, so we can proceed. However, I really had no idea how complicated this process would be. First of all, it is insanely expensive to have someone (a professional) create a freestyle for you. I am talking $600 for the bare minimum. My money situation is not good these days, so I am going to probably have to create this on my own or with very little help. The good news is that I have some excellent resources both in the music industry and obviously in the dressage department. So, we'll see if this comes together.



{{Improve and continue working on my position}}
I have a few flaws in my position that 1) distract from a pretty picture and 2) impede Hampton in certain movements. I'd like to work more on my own equitation this year. My current instructor is pretty good about picking on me correcting me, but I need to remain diligent when I am working on my own, too. For one, I need to shorten my reins. And keep them there. I tend to "give" my opening my fingers, thus letting the reins slide of my hands. Stop it, Karen. Just stop. Two, I collapse my left side during lateral movements. This is because Hampton is not quick enough off my leg and so I try to "scooch" him over, thus collapsing and actually stopping his sideways movement. And three, I have a habit of drawing my heels and knees up. This is also a result of Hampton not being hot enough off the leg, and so I support him waaaaaaay to much. This is going to change. Once I drop my heels, I find I have better control over the weight in my seat bones, and I sit up straighter overall. I am sure additional habits will develop this year as I work to improve the current flaws. Because that is how it works. :)

Who is this girl? She really needs to open up her left side and quit collapsing!

{{Develop more reliable flying changes. Develop the 4s and 3s}}
I'd like to get to the point where we can do quality changes at any point in the ring. The situation at the moment is improving - Hamps has decent changes on a good day but I still have to really set him up for success. And he still anticipates quite a bit. It's coming along, but I'd like to really iron these out. And we all know the real issue is not the change (he knows what I want), it's the quality of the canter in between!

{{Debut at Fourth Level}}
I am thinking that 4-1 is within our abilities at the moment.(The only "hail mary" movement is the line of 4s at the very end) I'd like to try that test early summer maybe. Hopefully at a schooling show. Maybe take it to a rated show late summer or fall. But have you guys looked at 4-3? I mean holy shit! I'll be avoiding that hot mess.


Hampton's reaction to reading 4-3 test.


{{Show at 3 rated shows}}
This will be totally depending on money. I am hoping that my other part time job will pick up soon and I won't be living paycheck to paycheck anymore. If not, there will be no rated shows for us next year. Just not possible. But schooling shows would probably still be do-able. I'd like to do a late spring/early summer show, another show in the summer and another in the fall. The fall show MIGHT be regionals if we qualify, and IF I have the money. I'd like to at least get out to our local schooling shows.

{{Attend one clinic}}
Again this will totally depend on money. I'd like that clinic to once again be JJ Tate. It seems I just need to win the lottery. haha. Don't we all?



{{Develop canter pirouettes}}
Our work these days involves a lot of development of the pirouette canter. We have some good steps in between moments of flat canter, or too fast or lack of rpms. It's ok, it will come. I think Hampton will be quite good at it once he gains the strength and balance.



{{Take more photos}}
I feel like I didn't take enough photos this year. One of the things I love about photography is that is forces you to see moment by moment, to see what others miss or ignore. This is more of a personal goal, but seeing that about 98% of my photos involve horses, I'm including it here.

{{Be better at money/budgeting}}
This is an ongoing issue, but I am going to try to be better with budgeting this year.  This coming from the girl who JUST bought a new saddle. In my defense, I used the money from my old saddle to buy the new one ... but still. I'd like to have a cushion in my bank account so I am not in a panic every other week on how I am going to eat or buy gas for my car.

Super secret "it's a big maybe if all the stars align" goal:
 Debut PSG in the fall. ssshhhhh, this one is the big ambitious goal!







10 comments:

  1. Excellent goals! Especially the picture one - definitely can't have too many pictures of your handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list, and your "secret" goal is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the goals! The picture one is definitely something that I want to work on too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same budgeting struggles. Looking forward to seeing that freestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PO FOLK UNITED. Totally know how budgeting for goals feel and sucking at money feels. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hoist that imaginary beer since I can't afford real ones. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great goals! The FU one is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe I like your secret tiny goal idea. That was cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get em! Great goals, and I'm right there with you on the budgeting thing. My early shows are paid for, but I'm still worried about the other ones I'd like to fit in before we move (The move location is still up in the air, or I'd share!).

    I think all the work you and Hampton did the the second half of the year has you really set up to have a fantastically competitive season at 3rd!

    Also, positional goals. Grrr. This is my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you have lots of goals!! 2015 is going to be a great year and I'm looking forward to following your progress. :D I have to say as much as I dislike being cold it is really nice having all the mud frozen over. I think if it was like this all winter I would get used to it and it wouldn't be so bad. The rain/mud is what is really annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great list :) I look forward to following your blog this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!