Thursday, November 20, 2014

Hampton's heritage: My King

I've written about Porkchop's so-called pedigree a couple of times before.

A little about Hampton's pedigree



I am a big believer in riding the actual horse, not his papers. But I do like looking back and seeing what Hampton's ancestors have accomplished.

My King

My King is Hampton's great-great-grandsire. He is a 1966 Rhinelander. He was 17 hands. Interestingly enough, there is quite a bit of size in Hampton's warmblood lines. I assumed he got his size from the Clydesdale, but that may not be totally true.

My King was bred and trained by Ed Rothkranz. They were part of the 1980 Alternate Olympics for the Canadian Olympic Team. My King is a son of Martel, who was on the Bronze medal winning German Olympic dressage team in 1952. 

It's a small world, as Ed Rothkranz currently lives in southern Kentucky.

My King produced a number of successful babies, including horses in both dressage and Grand Prix jumping. Dr Reiner Klimke owned a mare, Amantiado, by My King.

My King was also a Grand Prix jumper.

My King and Ed

Does anyone else have a horse who goes back to My King?




4 comments:

  1. I DO I DO I DO!!! Or did! My first dressage horse, LaBelle, was by My King! I bought her from a lady who actively road with Ed. I got a few lessons with him myself, and actually visited his farm on the Kentucky/Tennessee boarder!

    I had LaBelle for 3 years and competed her through 2nd level. She is retired now, but (ironically) I posted a video of her today on my blog! You can check it out here:

    fromthehorsesmouth.me

    I can't believe LaBelle and Hampton are half siblings! That's awesome! :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of My King before. Thanks for the history! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of him, but oh my god is he built nice! Holy cow! That shoulder! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am only familiar with TB lines...but you can clearly see where Hampton got his dressage skills from!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!