Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Farrier Incident

About 5 weeks ago, Hampton's farrier told me he was going to spend the winter in Florida.


But, he had a name of a guy he highly recommends to take care of Hampton over the winter. First, I will say that Hampton's farrier is probably one of the best I have ever been around. He works for one of the best farriers in the midwest, if not the country. He is an all around nice guy, is patient with Hampton, is funny and extremely hot good looking. Basically everything one wants in a farrier. ;)

So, when he recommended this other guy to shoe Hampton over the winter I of course took his advice without question.

So this new guy comes out (about 4 weeks ago) to reset the creature.

At first things are going great, but I warn him that when he gets to the hot-shoeing part, he will need to be patient at the smoke scares Hampton and he will want to hop backwards a bit. He usually gets over it fairly quickly but does require some patience at first. So we proceed.

And Hampton does exactly what I said he was going to do - he hops around a bit when in reaction to the smoke. To be fair, Hampton has never been hot-shoed until this summer. This was maybe the 3rd or 4th time he has experienced this.

After a few hops around, New Farrier says, "Put a lip chain on him."



I immediately got a bad feeling in my stomach.

So I try to put a lip chain on Hampton. I pretty much fail miserably because 1) Hampton is too damn tall and 2) He is now getting very upset as to to why I am trying to cram a chain up his lip. It is really rare that I have to put a chain on this horse's nose, much less a lip chain. Which he has never experienced.

So farrier says in the most condescending manner: "Have you ever put a lip chain on before?"

... Now I am annoyed AND offended. I tell him YES I know how to put lip chains on but have never needed to on this horse. He is too big to manhandle.

"Well, this is what we do on the track," he says. So I tell him to give it a try and HE CANNOT GET THE CHAIN ON EITHER. I am aware that track horses wear lip chains all the time. They are used to it, and it works for them. But Hampton is not used to be handled in such a manner. It just scared him and pissed him off.

He finally succeeds after 5 minutes. Hampton's gums are bleeding now of course and he is visably upset. Great.

So Hampton stands a little better now, but after maybe 10 minutes I notice that he is started to tremble in the flanks. Another 5 minutes and he is now shaking like a leaf. He looked like a horse having a full blown HYPP attack. Now, I was getting scared. Was he tying up? Was he going to collapse? Was he going into shock?



The farrier seemed unconcerned at the shaking and kept on shoeing. He was almost done at this point, so as soon as he was done hot shoeing I took the lip chain off and Hampton stopped shaking very quickly after that. Endorphins? I don't know.

After he proceeded to charge me an arm and a leg, I turned Hampton back out in hopes he would move around. He galloped out to his friends and seemed totally fine. I watched him for 10 more minutes to be sure.

To be honest, the farrier does quality work. But I won't be using him again. In fact the experience was so traumatic that I am going to have to drug Hampton next time (new farrier), just for his sake.

I feel horrible for not standing up for him more. He is certainly not above getting into trouble. He isn't allowed to act like a jerk, but when the horse is truly scared, it does no good to get rough with them. I don't want any farrier to get hurt, I get it. But I think this went too far.

How can you put a lip chain on this kind face? geez

I know it's not the farrier's job to train my horse to stand to be shod. But it is only the hot-shoeing portion that bothers Hampton. And I'm not sure how I can replicate that in daily life to teach him it's ok?

*sigh*

I guess a lesson learned?

17 comments:

  1. Omg! What a terrible experience!! It's ridiculous for a farrier not to take time with a horse like that. I'd fire him too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sparklers?

    Actually, I have no idea. I've never even seen a horse be hot shod. Sorry!

    I feel like it escalated really quickly! I guess there's the concern about burns, but I feel like a nose chain or something should have been the next step. Hope the next guy is more patient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah - its a hard line to know when to step in, especially when its something you need at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( Poor Hampton! Scared should never be punished with pain. Good for you for knowing that can't happen again. Too many people just go along with what a professional tells them to, regardless of what is in the best interest of their horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, those situations are easier to view in hindsight than in the moment, especially when you're trying to give new farrier the benefit of the doubt and and you need new shoes on the horse. But your conclusions are sound and you have a good plan going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How frustrating! I would refuse to use him too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your horse freaks out because he can smell his own feet burning and this guy reacts by making you chain him up until his face is bloody?!! No Effing Way!

    I've trimmed a few naughties in my time but never once have I (nor will I) told the owner to chain the horse. It's bad horsemanship, not to mention that being underneath a scared horse could get you killed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh poor Hampton! :(

    Is there any way you can sort of recreate the situation for him - cleaning his feet + tons of cookies with something safely smoky going on nearby - newspaper in a metal bucket maybe?

    I had a similarly distressing incident with Val a while back that involved smacking with the nippers. It took me a month of daily sessions to undo that mess. (it also led me on the path of learning how trim)

    I try to put myself in the place of the farrier - it's their profession, time and efficiency matter, they probably meet plenty of owners who haven't trained their horses to behave with practitioners... nonetheless I will never comply with that kind of situation again.

    Sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is just wrong - so sorry you had that experience! When we moved to KY, we used a highly recommended farrier and I did not like him at all - VERY arrogant - but the next one was super.

    Thankfully, we are back with our IN farrier who has been shoeing Riva since she was 2. As naughty as she was as a youngster, never did he tell me to lip chain her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. Such a tricky situation. Courage has been a complete idiot for the farrier the past couple of times he's been worked on. <3 my farrier and we're working through it, but it's a tough scenario because while you don't want to hurt your horse (obviously), the farrier also doesn't want to get injured or killed.

    I probably would put a lip chain on if he requested it, but he has a standing (business) relationship with my horse and myself and Courage is from the track, so he knows what that's all about. FWIW, he's never made any such request.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a similar experience years ago with my mare. A farrier hit her on the top of her rump with a hammer when he got upset about her moving. She ended up shaking just like you described. I felt terrible for not standing up for her but also felt very stuck at the mercy of this unknown farrier. It was the first and last time he ever shod for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I can't imagine. Steady has been an asshole for the farrier before and the farrier never loses his cool about it. To me is not just the lip chain request but the arrogant, rude manners. Sounds like the guy lacks people skills. It is his profession thus should get that he is working with animals with minds and feelings. I, m all about putting ahole horses into their place but a one size fits all, put a lip chain attitude is also lacking horse skills. I want to go hug my farrier now. Though he is Amish and I think that's like against his religion or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it sounds like Hampton was very stressed by the whole thing. I have no idea how to do a lip chain but I would think that a twitch would work much better if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is not cool. I used a farrier for a long time who did great work but just did not get along with Apollo (he was a nit picky jerk to him). I dreaded my appts. When I finally got rid of him I felt so stupid for putting with that crap for so long. Good job for getting rid this new guy ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had many experiences like that with farriers over the years. It's so hard, because these guys are pros - I've had my horses shod by the Olympic team farrier, by farriers used by vets to do reconstructive work... these guys knew their stuff. But by in large they didn't want to listen to anything I had to say about my horse or his feet. In their place, I probably come across as some crazy lady who loves my schnookie-wookums and doesn't want his little feetsie-weetsies to be hurt. So I get that would probably drive a pro all kinds of crazy. They want to get in there, do the job, and move on, without getting hurt. Owners just get in the way, lol.

    Having said all that, the guy I use now is a barefoot trimmer. The difference between him and any farrier I've ever had is night and day. He's always calm, quiet... even I find myself less tense when he's around. He knows my horses well - even tells me if one of them is having a harder time standing/picking up a foot than usual. My oldest one has a bit of difficulty getting his hind feet up on the stand these days, so he gets trimmed with his toe resting on the ground. Whatever is most comfortable for the horse. And the horses are super relaxed - most of them like to lip his hair and touch his shirt while he's doing their front feet, or they take a snooze. It's great.

    I hope you are able to find a farrier you AND Hampton are happy with while your usual guy is gone for the winter. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a terrible situation and I agree with someone above that it is always more clear in hindsight than in the midst of it.

    I definitely don't blame you for not using that farrier again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!