Thursday, August 28, 2014

So, that wasn't actually a lead rope.

Alternate title: News of the weird
Alternate title: Tack room friends
Alternate title: THERE WAS A SNAKE UNDER MY SADDLE.


There I was, tacking up Hampton. I go to retrieve my saddle.

There is a strange object under the pommel.

That's weird, I thought, why is there a lead rope smooshed up under my saddle?

Then my hand brushed up against it. And it squirmed.

You know how sometimes it takes a second for your brain to make a connection? It was like time froze for just that moment.

And then 3 ... 2 ....1 ....



After I freaked out like a total valley girl, I of course went back in to snap a photo of it!



Our beloved farm manager Julian came to my rescue. He marched in there like Steve Irwin F-ing Crocodile Hunter and grabbed the snake by the head. #hero

The snake has been evicted for the time being. Our tack room has many holes in which mice and snakes can crawl into, so he will be back.  I don't really mind him (he is not poisonous), but he just can't live in my saddle!

The story didn't really end there because not 20 minutes later Connie went to get her saddle and found not only a mouse, but a nest of about 10 newborn babies.

Gee, THANKS Snake. Way to do your job!

So let's see, so far today before 11 am I found a snake, had snake removed, rode my horse, found a nest of mouse babies, drowned them in a pond (sorry, they would have suffered), and cleaned out the tack room to make sure no other surprises were lurking.

#horsegirlproblems

evicted.


15 comments:

  1. Nope nope nope nope nope nope! Hopefully the mouse nest wasn't IN her saddle, like in the flocking. That would be bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had an altercation with a large and acrobatic rat in our tack room this morning. GUH! i'll take your snake anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god. That first gif is HILARIOUS.

    I don't mind snakes, but that would have been awfully surprising! What a lazy snake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah!!!! I would have fainted if that happened to me! Just seeing those pictures is going to make me paranoid for the rest of my life. Glad it isn't poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have squealed like a small child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading about this makes me lightheaded. No way. No how. Nuh uh. Nope. Noooooo. I think I would have fainted, come to, and fainted again.

    Great gif - that would be my reaction - along with the fainting. I know you said you "freaked out like a total valley girl" but your post makes you seem pretty calm and cool about it. You know, taking a picture, not minding him, etc. #soimpressed

    ReplyDelete
  7. in 2012 I chased the eventing trainer around the barn with a baby snake in my hand, also non poisonous. So cute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snakes disguised as lead ropes, NO. I do not do snakes. I would have freaked out and then looked EVERYWHERE before I stepped or touched anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was the go to snake remover/killer at the barn in Flordia...but I would have squealed as well finding one under my saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ewwww I would have died! I have never seen a snake in real life before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet he/she was after those mice :D

    I like snakes, but still squeal when surprised by one - hiding under the saddle is definitely not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NOPE. I actually like snakes, but wild animals (namely mice and snakes) just showing up when they're not wanted freaks me out. I would have screamed exactly like that gif.

    ReplyDelete
  13. STFU I would have died. Actually I almost died just reading this. From my couch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness...I would have died. That's gross!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!