Monday, July 7, 2014

On the mend

Hamps is making improvement on the bum leg front.

Saturday morning

Monday morning (today)

While he is still swollen, I would say there is marked improvement! He is almost totally sound at the walk now. He is just a little stiff yet when I ask him to turn in a tight circle (like turn around in the aisle way or something). 

He continues to scarf down his antibiotics, which I have been hiding in carrots. He thinks has been a REALLY GOOD BOY lately at all we do is stand around in the wash rack while I feed him carrots! ha!

He probably has one more day of bute and hopefully we can cut that down or totally out all together. 

I did walk him in tack today for about 20 minutes. Just a bareback stroll. He was walking forward and swingy without any nagging from me. There was a decrease in swelling after our walk as well. So I think I will go back this evening and do the same. The movement seems to really help. He does get night turnout as well.

Gimme more carrots!



Just thankful this has run its course fairly quickly it seems and did not become a more serious issue. If you google cellulitis in horses, you will find some photos of some HORRIBLE cases. Infact horses can even become septic from this type of infection. Eeeps!

So I am totally ok with bareback strolls this week! 

8 comments:

  1. Hampy! Glad his cellulitis cleared up fast. After Huey's bought I hope it never comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Hamps is feeling better! cellulitis can be so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so much better! I'm glad he's on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty new to your blog, but Hamps looks like a cutie. :) Leg problems definitely suck, but at least his seems to be clearing up! Glad he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear Hampton is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks so much better! I'm very, very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!